Hawkesbury River Bream

Thanks for your post GHF. Obviously there are limits to the capabilities to capture footage of fishing from a kayak. You are to be complimented on the variety of angles which you use to present your footage. Absolutely amazing to see the size variation between those tiny Snapper and that prize Bream. Lovely, calm conditions to be out in a kayak...if only I were 40 years younger.

I watch a lot of fishing videos. Could I make a couple of suggestions which MAY be helpful? Unless it's a secret, tell us where you are and give us details of what gear you're using...(rod, reel, line, knots, terminal tackle, etc). I think it's more engaging for your viewers. Speaking of which, I'm crossing over to YouTube now to subscribe to your channel.

Thank you for sharing with the Fishraider community. bn

• Like 1

3 hours ago, big Neil said:

Thanks for your post GHF. Obviously there are limits to the capabilities to capture footage of fishing from a kayak. You are to be complimented on the variety of angles which you use to present your footage. Absolutely amazing to see the size variation between those tiny Snapper and that prize Bream. Lovely, calm conditions to be out in a kayak...if only I were 40 years younger.

I watch a lot of fishing videos. Could I make a couple of suggestions which MAY be helpful? Unless it's a secret, tell us where you are and give us details of what gear you're using...(rod, reel, line, knots, terminal tackle, etc). I think it's more engaging for your viewers. Speaking of which, I'm crossing over to YouTube now to subscribe to your channel.

Thank you for sharing with the Fishraider community. bn

Thanks for the kind words.

Appreciate the suggestions, happy to share more info on the gear Im using moving forward. In relation to the locations, I started fishing the parra a lot as Im a local, the system is highly pressured, by pollution and rubbish, so good land based spots are hard to come by. Most of them are trashed with leftover bait bags etc. So yeah I stopped naming spots pretty early on. A mate actually told me about this location so I didn't wanna name drop it on YouTube, some people get shitty. Most people figure it out anyway. 

Im 40 now so definitely not a spring chicken, although gym and eating well helps 👌

1 hour ago, Little_Flatty said:

That's a horse of a bream, well done. Looked quite tranquil out there in the early morning.

What size outfit? Looked to be a 1-3kg rod? 4lb braid?

Hey mate, I post the gear im using in the summary section under the videos on youtube, however as Neil suggested Im happy to go over it in my videos. 

Its a Zodias 4-8lb with 6lb braid and 6lb berkley vanish leader although Im sure I could have easily gone up to 10lb in that dark tannen water and it wouldnt have mattered. 4lb is too risky in my opinion theres so much larger bycatch around and you never know whats gonna hit the lure. I got busted off on Sunday by a big bream under ryde bridge on 6lb so yeah I wouldnt go lower than that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, GoldenHourFishing said:

Hey mate, I post the gear im using in the summary section under the videos on youtube, however as Neil suggested Im happy to go over it in my videos. 

Its a Zodias 4-8lb with 6lb braid and 6lb berkley vanish leader although Im sure I could have easily gone up to 10lb in that dark tannen water and it wouldnt have mattered. 4lb is too risky in my opinion theres so much larger bycatch around and you never know whats gonna hit the lure. I got busted off on Sunday by a big bream under ryde bridge on 6lb so yeah I wouldnt go lower than that.

Thanks @GoldenHourFishing, I have upped to 6lb, with 8lb leader for most of my applications as well. Gives a little more breathing room when around structure and when you unexpectedly hook up to a sizeable fish. Still, the silly string outfit is useful at times, when the fish are finicky.

I fish a lot around the Ryde area as well. Looks like it is slowly coming back after the fish kill. Great news.

Would love to have a Hobie like yours one day, but I'm yet to convince the boss! :D 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GoldenHourFishing said:

Thanks for the kind words.

Appreciate the suggestions, happy to share more info on the gear Im using moving forward. In relation to the locations, I started fishing the parra a lot as Im a local, the system is highly pressured, by pollution and rubbish, so good land based spots are hard to come by. Most of them are trashed with leftover bait bags etc. So yeah I stopped naming spots pretty early on. A mate actually told me about this location so I didn't wanna name drop it on YouTube, some people get shitty. Most people figure it out anyway. 

Im 40 now so definitely not a spring chicken, although gym and eating well helps 👌

Hi there GHF. I fully appreciate your stand on locations you fish. I hate going to fishing spots and finding all sorts of rubbish. Some people are totally inconsiderate of the mess they leave behind. Thank you for considering my suggestion regarding the gear which you use. I seldom get to fish with such tackle so have no idea what people use. I know what I use and why, it helps to understand the experience you're having in your kayak.

I often wish I was 40 as fishing from a kayak would be an ideal way of catching the fish which I pursue in the Murrumbidgee River in the Riverina. Suffice to say that I admire the anglers who use this relatively new method of stealth fishing.

Do you mind sharing your first name, seems a bit informal using GHF?

Cheers, bn

15 minutes ago, motiondave said:

well done @GoldenHourFishing , i subscribed a while back and I watch your videos.

people are always looking for spots, especially in Sydney and get shirty when you dont tell them the exact location, and if you do, next time to turn up, its been run over by people or fenced off and closed due to people not respecting the area, thats mostly shore based. Ive lost a few good shore based spots from letting people know, then they tell someone else....and so on.
or even better, you tell them the spot, where to cast, bait, lines, they catch nothing, then abuse you for the info. *face palms*

even some boat spots get hammered if I indicate abouts where I was. 

overall well done, Parra river is really good and for catch and release in the upper reaches.

Yep couldnt have said it better. 

People find out the spots and hammer it, you come there next time and there is 10 people lining the bank. Thats actually happened to me before. 

34 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Hi there GHF. I fully appreciate your stand on locations you fish. I hate going to fishing spots and finding all sorts of rubbish. Some people are totally inconsiderate of the mess they leave behind. Thank you for considering my suggestion regarding the gear which you use. I seldom get to fish with such tackle so have no idea what people use. I know what I use and why, it helps to understand the experience you're having in your kayak.

I often wish I was 40 as fishing from a kayak would be an ideal way of catching the fish which I pursue in the Murrumbidgee River in the Riverina. Suffice to say that I admire the anglers who use this relatively new method of stealth fishing.

Do you mind sharing your first name, seems a bit informal using GHF?

Cheers, bn

Sure mate, names Adam. 

Im assuming you smash some quality murray cod in the Murrumbidgee River? That species is on my bucket list. 

Edited by GoldenHourFishing
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, GoldenHourFishing said:

Sure mate, names Adam. 

Im assuming you smash some quality murray cod in the Murrumbidgee River? That species is on my bucket list. 

Thanks Adam. Just went down to the boat ramp to check whether the council had removed the mud (they have) and chucked a line in. In 40 mins I caught a Murray Cod which came home for dinner and a Carp which was duly dispatched. I love the tranquility of fishing the river. Fish for dinner tonight. Cheers, bn

• Like 4