Just bought first fishfinder for kayak, Striker 4CV. Questions regarding through hull tranducer mount.

craka

Well after wanting a finder for a while I took the plunge and bought a  Garmin Striker 4CV on Anacondas easter period sale for $280.   I only have a small cheap yak (kayak2fish older version of Osprey), like the size of the Striker 4CV with it not being too obtrusive and also didn't have a ample of coin to spend on a finder.

But I have a few questions on mounting the transducer.. I would like to be able to mount it so it can be removed, as I may later in the year either upgrade to a bigger/better kayak or Tinnie.

1)     I've seen mention of places of foam being glued down to the inner yak hull and a cut out made in the foam for the transducer to sit in, however what I don't understand does the transducer need to be glued to the foam or does it slip just tightly into the foam and does the foam need to be wet or can it be dry?

2) I've also seen duct seal / putty used in a couple youtube videos which are USA based.  Pretty sure its the same that I've used in small amounts in the telco industry in the past but don't have access to anymore.  Has anyone used this method, and where were you able to purchase the duct seal/putty from locally in Australia?

3) I understand that water temperature function won't work or will be inaccurate but does downview/clearVu work with through hull transducer mounting?

Best to make a mould out of pretty much anything but make sure there are no air bubbles and the transducer is as close to the hull as possible. You can have it moulded in and can fasten it down with a rubber band that way you can leave the mould stuck to the hull and you can remove the transducer whenever you like.

sikaflex, silicone or even a epoxy should work for a mould

You don’t need to mount the transducer on the inside of the hull you can quite easily have it hang over the side using a few railblaza items or make one up yourself. That way you will have water temp etc working.

as for a putty you can get tubes off kneed it from Bunnings 

6 hours ago, Restyle said:

Best to make a mould out of pretty much anything but make sure there are no air bubbles and the transducer is as close to the hull as possible. You can have it moulded in and can fasten it down with a rubber band that way you can leave the mould stuck to the hull and you can remove the transducer whenever you like.

sikaflex, silicone or even a epoxy should work for a mould

You don’t need to mount the transducer on the inside of the hull you can quite easily have it hang over the side using a few railblaza items or make one up yourself. That way you will have water temp etc working.

as for a putty you can get tubes off kneed it from Bunnings 

Thanks for the reply Restyle.

The putty I was referring to remains malleable where as kneed-it I believes hardens after application.  I actually found where it possibly can be purchased from after my initial post last night. https://adaptaust.com.au/product/duct-seal-putty/

Not really worried about the temperature function,  but more concerned whether downview/clearVU still works with through hull installation.   I've erred the idea of mounting it externally but I think with my clumsiness it would end up damaged.

I used Marine GOOP in the bottom of the hobie, works well but will be hard to remove, the temp function on my transducer will work but only when the hull reaches the water temp which is after about an hour.

13 hours ago, Foghorn said:

I used Marine GOOP in the bottom of the hobie, works well but will be hard to remove, the temp function on my transducer will work but only when the hull reaches the water temp which is after about an hour.

Cheers Foghorn, hadn't thought about the temp working but that makes sense once the hull temp adjust to the water its sitting in.