Fish ID (Lizardfish/Grinner/Saury) Order Aluopiformes.

fatcat531

Question

7 answers to this question

As stated, can be eaten, however, many bones towards the head section, the tail section is free of bones if correctly filleted. I found the flavour a bit different to standard fish meals, though, many are caught and eaten in the Asian countries.

for a fish I.D., side-on photos of the fish, preferably laying flat, are much easier to identify than one held up and photoed from above the head.

Edited by Yowie

The original picture is in .HEIC format which is the new apple format (apparently takes less space) but it’s enabled as a default. I have gone to settings and changed that to .JPEG just to make it easier to exchange. 
cheers Zoran 

• Like 3

It's hard to tell with that photo, but it could be either a Largescale Saury, or a Painted Grinner.

(Both are called numerous other Common names with Lizardfish, Saurie and Grinner in them)

Edited by Blackfish

3 hours ago, Blackfish said:

It's hard to tell with that photo, but it could be either a Largescale Saury, or a Painted Grinner.

(Both are called numerous other Common names with Lizardfish and Grinner in them)

That is the trouble with that family of fish, names interchanged for the various species, and some of them have only slightly different skin colours/patterns so are hard to differentiate.

What is common is the large mouth and many pointy teeth.

3 hours ago, Blackfish said:

Thats why the Scientists/ Biologists ETC like the Latin name.

For example the Large-scale Saurie is also called Brushtooth LIZARDFISH, Large-scale GRINNER 

https://australian.museum/learn/animals/fishes/largescale-saury-saurida-undosquamis/

That head and face is very similar to the one I caught in 2016, however, no white spots on it's back.

I did consider it to be the species, until I saw the white spots. As I stated back then, is there a difference between male and females similar to the parrot fish family (really wrasse species)?

I have twice spoken to the guys at the Australian Museum, and their opinions are if you have something you cannot I.D., then put the fish on ice (don't freeze it) and take it to them the same day (do not scale, fillet or gut the fish). I showed them photos of the one I caught, but they really needed the whole fish for an I.D.