Telescopic Carbon Landing Net Pole needs repair ,

hello raiders  , i was driving around the other day when i spotted a  a couple of rods  (broken ) and one of those  (ISO)   Telescopic Carbon Landing Nets and  Pole , , the pole has got a couple of cracks  at the end bit   where the net  screws into   so it will need some minor repairs , the first thing that comes to mind is to use some binding thread etc  the same as you would use on a guide , but i was just wondering if anyone has got any better ideas instead , please take a look a the photo and  tell me  what you think about it , thank you .IMG_20220425_005112.thumb.jpg.b6ba548c76b6ad3edd4bbc83333b131c.jpgIMG_20220425_005112.thumb.jpg.b6ba548c76b6ad3edd4bbc83333b131c.jpgIMG_20220425_004517.thumb.jpg.128f77d77bf247363de39a6f6126f5cc.jpgIMG_20220425_004528.jpg.7c1e0b0030cf5c9e833a80acfc2135ff.jpg

Looks like someone tried to lift up a fish horizontally with the net (they aren't supposed to work that way).

Probably prohibitively expensive but there are carbon fibre repairers who fix bikes amongst other things.

I have a mate who took up carbon bike repair in his spare time. I might be able to ask him what he does as a process if you're interested.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Looks like someone tried to lift up a fish horizontally with the net (they aren't supposed to work that way).

Probably prohibitively expensive but there are carbon fibre repairers who fix bikes amongst other things.

I have a mate who took up carbon bike repair in his spare time. I might be able to ask him what he does as a process if you're interested.

sounds expensive , i don't want to spend any more then  the cost of  a tube of quality epoxy,  as i said i will probably end up doing the same thing  that i would do with any fishing rod ,  the only thing i dont know is  if that will be enough   on a cracked carbon tube , but  thank you for the offer  L F ,  

• Like 1

If you're not real fussed on what it looks like, a decent marine hose clamp will do the job, make sure it's a full stainless one though, not a stainless one with a plain steel screw! Then just put some decent tape over it so it doesn't get caught on things.

I fixed a middle join on one of my rods by first sanding down all the excess glue then smoothing it out then covering with 2 part epoxy, then tightly binding thread around it then left it to dry and then sanded it smooth them painted. Holding well enough, though I wouldn't be putting excessive weight on it.

• Like 1

I would probably make a plug to fit inside tube to strengthen it and araldite it in place.  You could still bind the outside and seal with rod finish or epoxy if you wanted to.   If finish looks a bit dodgy you could also finish with heat shrink tube.  Ron 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, campr said:

I would probably make a plug to fit inside tube to strengthen it and araldite it in place.  You could still bind the outside and seal with rod finish or epoxy if you wanted to.   If finish looks a bit dodgy you could also finish with heat shrink tube.  Ron 

thank you  

On 4/26/2022 at 9:07 AM, slothparade said:

I fixed a middle join on one of my rods by first sanding down all the excess glue then smoothing it out then covering with 2 part epoxy, then tightly binding thread around it then left it to dry and then sanded it smooth them painted. Holding well enough, though I wouldn't be putting excessive weight on it.

thank you   

On 4/25/2022 at 6:20 PM, motiondave said:

Epoxy and  Gaffa tape should do it. 👍

On 4/25/2022 at 6:47 PM, noelm said:

If you're not real fussed on what it looks like, a decent marine hose clamp will do the job, make sure it's a full stainless one though, not a stainless one with a plain steel screw! Then just put some decent tape over it so it doesn't get caught on things.

thank you