Fish ID - Balmain (Eastern Frogfish)

Mike Sydney

Question

Hi team,

I caught this stunning beauty on a diesel MinnowZ at Balmain East this evening. I thought it might have been a pufferfish but it didn’t inflate once on land like the previous one I caught. 
It did croak like a frog though. 

B015D393-B0DF-4A54-9D92-49ED061DFE4B.thumb.jpeg.843ac5a04616c8763d1b1bd004d0622c.jpeg

Any ideas? Is it a species of puffer? 

Thanks, Mike

14 answers to this question

Agree with everyone, Eastern Frogfish. The Tasseled beard is there though when they are out of water they just fold against the mouth being so fine and soft. The second photo you can see them.

Red rock Cod have fleshy flaps on their body to help camouflage and stick up when in the water but you never these when they are out of the water.

As for being a Female @Yowie 😄 it may be as you suggested or the grumpy face 🤔....... but I'm not going there. 🤐

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Mike Sydney said:

Hi team,

I caught this stunning beauty on a diesel MinnowZ at Balmain East this evening. I thought it might have been a pufferfish but it didn’t inflate once on land like the previous one I caught. 
It did croak like a frog though. 

B015D393-B0DF-4A54-9D92-49ED061DFE4B.thumb.jpeg.843ac5a04616c8763d1b1bd004d0622c.jpeg

Any ideas? Is it a species of puffer? 

Thanks, Mike

My vote is for a stargazer or frogfish of sorts. @Blackfish will be able to be more specific.

Never seen them caught on lures.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

:pokey::hitsfan::ranting2::banned2:

Good, I'm heading off in the van early next week and away for a few weeks, passing through NSW, SA and VIC before heading home. I'll leave the fish for Swordie to catch.

On 4/26/2022 at 10:05 PM, Mike Sydney said:

Thanks. I note this one has no “beard”, from what i see the Eastern Frogfish looks identical but with a beard to attract prey. Here is a photo of the underside too. 

69FAF9A8-A1FC-4012-94BC-3C1812124BBE.thumb.jpeg.25563e26557d8b7aa5405823a9ffe977.jpeg

Interesting, I've never thought to turn one over for a look. Every time we've caught one we've been in a hurry to get it back! Thanks for sharing.