Botany Bay fishing boat fishing tips for a novice

Davofishing

Hey Legends,

Over the next two weeks, I intend on heading out into Botany bay via Tom Ugly's Bridge Boat Ramp. My intention was to fish somewhere between Tom Uglys Bridge and Captain Cook bridge and just let the current take me whilst I throw some lures/hardbodies and servo bait, nothing fancy. The intention was to get there at sunrise so I can take my time at the boat ramp. I will be with another person too. boat is nothing fancy - 4.5m, 40hp.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for the area? Anything I should look out for? Anywhere particular I should target? Anything to avoid? 

This will be only my second time out on the boat (first time was with a very experienced skipper) so if anyone is aware of any reason why I maybe shouldn't head out here, let me know!!

I live in the Hills area so I'm trying to find somewhere that isn't too far away but with conditions that aren't too harsh (preferably low wind/low swell) and I'm hoping this is a good compromise. If anyone has any other better recommended locations that are better suited for an inexperienced skip, please do let me know :)  

image.thumb.png.3e7cb6ab07c6aaf62fc4199e8fe07550.png

drifting strip baits like mullet, yakka or whole pillies between the bridges can produce some nice Flathead. you can also fish the eddies of ether bridge for big bream using prawns or small strip baits, most caught recently have been 35-40cm models and the occasional jewie aswell.

You can try out dolls point for whiting, flattys and also the occasional king fish can be caught there along the drop off. live nippers are the goto bait there.

Pick a species and stick with the plan. you're wasting your time if you plan on going out to catch whatever lands on your hook.  If your going to target flathead, drift the channel and flats, with bream and jew aim for structure like the bridges and dropoffs.

the area is subject to strong currents from the outgoing tides and can get rather choppy when the wind is up. Abit of boat traffic too