Advice on boat type

seasponge

I currently own a 4.5m aluminium runabout. This one’s pretty old and I’m in the market for an upgrade, but really not sure which direction to head.

Size-wise, she has served me great as a good size for 2 people on board fishing. However, now have a 4 and 6yr old and it’s not an enjoyable day when we all 4 of us go out on the boat for the day. So am looking for practical advice on what size and type of boat. Ultimately it still needs to be a fishing boat, but comfortable for a family outing as well. Don’t wont to go over 5.5m.

Cuddy Cab versus Bowrider/Easyrider

Any thoughts from owners of both – suitability of either option as a fishing boat and as a family boat? I like the idea of a cuddy cab but does that restrict space in the back of the boat too much?

Aluminium vs Fibreglass

Looking at second hand, how old would you go for a second hand fibreglass or aluminium? There are a lot of pros and cons for either, but what would trump the other? Current boat was my first, an old beaten aluminium which is now riddled with corrosion – don’t want to go there again!

Any advice to help me narrow down a search would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I have a 2016 Stacer 509 Searunner which I find a great allround boat, Mine has a Evinrude 115 on it and is also good for towing a 3 man tube, I found that most owners of these boats kept them for around 12 to 15 years and then sold them for nearly as much they paid for them. 

PS. The second picture is without the baitboard on it. I also have the ski pole attachment

image.thumb.png.20d9508102f501615bb4c02bca4c81a3.png

image.png.68bd960ad8f9a4f779b585e225d96302.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, seasponge said:

I currently own a 4.5m aluminium runabout. This one’s pretty old and I’m in the market for an upgrade, but really not sure which direction to head.

Size-wise, she has served me great as a good size for 2 people on board fishing. However, now have a 4 and 6yr old and it’s not an enjoyable day when we all 4 of us go out on the boat for the day. So am looking for practical advice on what size and type of boat. Ultimately it still needs to be a fishing boat, but comfortable for a family outing as well. Don’t wont to go over 5.5m.

Cuddy Cab versus Bowrider/Easyrider

Any thoughts from owners of both – suitability of either option as a fishing boat and as a family boat? I like the idea of a cuddy cab but does that restrict space in the back of the boat too much?

Aluminium vs Fibreglass

Looking at second hand, how old would you go for a second hand fibreglass or aluminium? There are a lot of pros and cons for either, but what would trump the other? Current boat was my first, an old beaten aluminium which is now riddled with corrosion – don’t want to go there again!

Any advice to help me narrow down a search would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Aluminium or glass is personal choice as both have pros and cons really.As for age there's boats out there that are 20yrs old in better condition than 5yr old ones and vice versa. 

Focus more on condition rather than age when buying anything second hand like cars and boats.

If you don't have experience/knowledge get them inspected professionally.(Any one with half a brain) can see gaping rust holes in trailers,bald tyres,dented aluminium, cracked fibreglass etc,etc,etc.

You can tell alot by a motor just looking at it too and with something as simple as a compression test.

The best space you'll get in any boat is a open boat.Anything else you lose ALOT OF SPACE FOR THE SAME GIVEN HULL LENGTH!!!

But gain if you want protection from wind,waves,weather etc with say a boat like your looking at.Cuddy.

Only you know what you want,how much you want to spend,where you want to fish,boat,if you want to tow tubes etc.

If staying inshore with a young family a bow rider would be a no brainer for me.

If you need fishing advice don't ask me as I'm a fish feeder.

They are my pets.🤣😂

Hope this helps . 

Edited by Fab1
  • Like 1

Bow riders are OK, until there is any chop, then anyone in the bow is going to get pounded! (And wet) Cuddy cabs are OK, a sort if compromise, protection from wind, maybe a couple of small bunks with storage, plenty of room to fish down the back. Aluminium or glass is a never ending debate, flip a coin on that one.

Edited by noelm
  • Like 1

Dont change your boat-change your thinking-kids up until about 10 years of age dont want to do all day trips and usually dont want to go to sea. Cabins etc on small boats just eat up usable space-get them to wear rashies, good hats (not useless caps), lots of sunscreen and stick an umbrella in a rod holder for shade, i notice you live in Brooklyn so go for runs up to Berowra, the various creeks off Cowan-run the boat up on a beach and let them run around every couple of hours. Set crab pots (kids love it), fish for lots of small fish rather than a few big fish-even just berley up a bunch of yakkas and micro bream and have fun-when your kids are small reserve the serious trips for "adult time". My kids have only ever fished from the center consoles ive owned and we always had a ball.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, noelm said:

Bow riders are OK, until there is any chop, then anyone in the bow is going to get pounded! (And wet) Cuddy cabs are OK, a sort if compromise, protection from wind, maybe a couple of small bunks with storage, plenty of room to fish down the back. Aluminium or glass is a never ending debate, flip a coin on that one.

Good point on the bowrider! I'm looking for something that's gonna make the day comfortable for the family so maybe the cuddy cab is better option.

How easy is it to detect hidden transom damage in a fibreglass boat? 

It's often pretty difficult to find transom damage, but look around bolts/screws, tilt the motor fully up, then lean on the gearbox, hard! and look for any sign of flexing, any soft spots in the floor, regardless of how small, or what the seller tells you, means trouble too. Depending on how old the boat is you're looking for, some were made without wood at all. Don't be fooled by "legendary brands", some of them are built cheap and nasty.

Edited by noelm
  • Like 1

I think with 4 in the boat your top limit of 5.5m is the go.  I prefer runabout configuration with flat floor as it gives you more room to walk around as kids get bored pretty quickly if forced to sit all the time.  Cuddies offer some protection but at the cost of space at sides to fish from.  Bowriders are nice for family fun in sheltered waters but can leave those up front exposed should it get choppy.  I went from a 4.5m Quintrex  to one 5.6m and the space difference is amazing.  Mine is a runabout with a high bimini with option of fitting front and side clears for protection should it rain.  This optimises space and I have camped overnight with room for a couple of sleeping bags.   Hard decision.  Good luck.  Ron 

• Like 1

I like an all rounder that I can tow all over the country with ease. I also like to be able to fish from all around the boat and be able to cast lures to what ever fish is on offer. I like my fuel bills low and also being able to reach 80km offshore on those good days as well as be able to carry supplies for a week off grid camping on offshore islands up north. 

I like deeper v hulls fibreglass for the softer ride than you can get from most aluminium boats. Stability is also important, which is where central mounted underfloor fuel tanks and batteries dead centre all help with this. Launching from the beach or river bank is also on my list. 

Ive owned many boats over the years and always found the smaller easy to town and handle boats get used the most. Having a boat you can happily use up a river when the sea conditions are to poor for heading offshore is a huge bonus when you have a young family eager to head out on the water. Its also great being up the front getting splashed by dolphins or simply having excellent all round vision of any wildlife or fish.

So after messing with many boats Im now back to owning another Formula 15, which is basically a haines 445 (14.6ft). There are a few newer versions of these about, one called flightcraft 445, one for sale on the marketplace in Sydney at what looks like a decent price.

IMG_4120.thumb.JPG.200d228ec372a0cdece0c960697d1d4f.JPG

• Like 2

On 5/3/2022 at 11:09 PM, motiondave said:

Bowriders are for fun, not really fishing. I've known two people that had them, and they sold them later as they were not fishing friendly boats. They don't like chop too much either unless you know what you are doing.

Depends on the bowrider, if you are talking a sporty type like Bayliner, Searay then yes, the nose is too low and only good in rivers, bays and the like.

my2016 Stacer 5.4mtr bowrider has the high sides and handles the swell no problems as the bow sits the same as any centre console, side console or runabout.

On rough days, if you don't drive slow you will get sea spray, but a set of clears fixed that for me.

Sunny days nobody wants to sit in a half cab sweating during a leisure cruise, they all want to be up the front or outside.

Kids and the wife don't go out in the boat when its not a good / beautiful day, that's when i put the clears on and only take one person and fish as we can stay dry and warm.

Alloy is good if like me you pull up to beaches regularly, but i do wish i had fiberglass sometime for the smooth ride, i have been looking at getting a Revival 590 bowrider, as it also has the high front compared to the American bayliner types.

It's not the height of the bow with bow riders, the fact that you are sitting right in the bow dictates you are going to get "bounced" way more than further back, they serve a purpose, like all boats, they are a compromise, you need to decide honestly what is important to have, then what is nice to have, then look for a boat that has the most features you consider important. Everyone wants a boat with space, speed, beds, kitchen, rod holders, hard top and open, seats, lounge and be able to tow it with a mini, but in reality, it's just not going to happen.

24 minutes ago, noelm said:

It's not the height of the bow with bow riders, the fact that you are sitting right in the bow dictates you are going to get "bounced" way more than further back, they serve a purpose, like all boats, they are a compromise, you need to decide honestly what is important to have, then what is nice to have, then look for a boat that has the most features you consider important. Everyone wants a boat with space, speed, beds, kitchen, rod holders, hard top and open, seats, lounge and be able to tow it with a mini, but in reality, it's just not going to happen.

Lucky you ain't married to my mrs mate.Apparently you can fit the fit out the Queen Mary 2 has in my 4.2 meter runabout according to her and still have room for the 3 of us to fish.🙄

• Like 1

Argh, so much good advice, but pro's and con's for all options! Not an easy call, and just makes the whole shopping process so much more difficult. Such a minefield trying to buy second hand unless you can narrow down the field of search!

• Like 1

Make an honest list of "must have" things like size, cabin, single axle trailer, tubing, family, fishing, tow vehicle, anything you can think of that you "must" have, then list the "would be nice" and sift through that list.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 4:39 PM, motiondave said:

My brother has one of those, but he boots the cats out when he wants to use the boat.

I tell people I have a tiger that sleeps in my garage so my boat doesn't get touched

2 hours ago, noelm said:

Make an honest list of "must have" things like size, cabin, single axle trailer, tubing, family, fishing, tow vehicle, anything you can think of that you "must" have, then list the "would be nice" and sift through that list.

I'm thinking one of my must haves is an electric motor for spotlocking. Not sure how that enters the equation. 

If you can wait that long,  it's only a couple of months until the Sydney boat show.  Sometimes there's good deals on offer but if your after 2nd hand you can still look and compare sizes and styles.  If still contemplating a cuddy, get in one and you may be surprised at how much space you lose. Spend some time haunting boat ramps and chatting to people there asking questions about any boats you fancy.  Winter is appon us which usually means there are a few 2nd hand bargains about.   Good luck.  Ron 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, motiondave said:

They are handy but NOT cheap. I was looking at one but to justify a $3000 purchase for a $1000 boat, nope .😁 I had and will buy another tiller handle one, bit more to manage but usable. 

That's the same scenario i'm in with the current boat. I'm willing to spend the money for an electric motor, but won't bother on the current boat. So I'm considering it a must have for the next boat.