Hawksbury area Saturday 7th of May

essjay

I am throwing a post up here in case anyone wants to come fishing this Saturday around the Hawksbury river area. I am pretty new to fishing, new to the forum and getting better at it with regular positive sessions thanks to the info on here and on youtube.

Recently I acquired a boat and now feel comfortable enough to have someone else on it with me but all my mates are busy this weekend. Its an inshore boat not an off shore boat. I fish light tackle and do it for fun and to stay sane.

To date I have been taking my dog out but she is a not a very good fishing buddy to be candid. She keeps jumping in the water to chase the fish or barking all the time ,  its a real problem I am yet to deal with effectively. She does it from land as well but i digress....

So if anyone is interested in coming for a cast Saturday in the run up to the high tide, reply here or send me a PM. 

No payment is required or expected just looking for someone to fish with but be warned, if you are any good at catching fish I will be taking mental notes on your techniques :P

I am located in Brooklyn so will be launching from the ruins.

• Like 1

Love to join you @essjay, but tied up most weekends. I’m sure you’ll find some raiders happy to join you. I mostly fish weekdays - if you get a “flexi”, you’d be most welcome to join me ( fish the Hawkesbury a fair bit and some good fish around at present - got a dozen nice Flatties yesterday). 

• Like 4

are you planning on visiting broken bay or just staying inside? Do you have your GPS marks ready? I’ve tried the hawksbury years ago with no luck although I did not visit any proper marks around broken bay, there are some good marks and reefs there, wrecks that I have seen previous members talk about, and I have these marks too. 

I’d come but I may be traveling this weekend.

All the best 😄

19 minutes ago, Tarik said:

are you planning on visiting broken bay or just staying inside? Do you have your GPS marks ready? I’ve tried the hawksbury years ago with no luck although I did not visit any proper marks around broken bay, there are some good marks and reefs there, wrecks that I have seen previous members talk about, and I have these marks too. 

I’d come but I may be traveling this weekend.

All the best 😄

It depends on the weather if I head out to broken bay, boat is a 4.2 meter Quintrix Renegade SC and Broken Bay can be nasty in certain conditions.

I have only been out 3 or 4 times so far and each time I have landed Bream and Flatties. Largest so far was last trip and came in at 52cm lizzard. There are lots of fish here now the river has recovered from the recent flooding. Not even sure how to use my Lowrance fish finder to be candid let alone mark spots with it. I know it works and I am learning as I go. What I do know is the knowledge I have picked up is getting me fish, not massive ones but they are getting bigger and more frequent. Much more frequent then when i fished from land.

Edited by essjay
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Pickles said:

Love to join you @essjay, but tied up most weekends. I’m sure you’ll find some raiders happy to join you. I mostly fish weekdays - if you get a “flexi”, you’d be most welcome to join me ( fish the Hawkesbury a fair bit and some good fish around at present - got a dozen nice Flatties yesterday). 

I am sure we will cross paths at some point Pickles, week days are a bit hard for me as I am self employed and work load is very heavy for me the past few years. Its a shame because I live right on the river yet struggle to get time on it even now with a boat. Most days after work I just don't have the drive to get out there after I finally finish calls for the day at 6 or 7pm.

Fishing Atlas to Sydney - Hawkesbury is a bit on the old side as it was published in 2010, I would have a look at Fishing Guide to Sydney - Hawkesbury as this book was published in Nov 2019

image.png.098fb3d981aa728a29de24d8da5ab619.png

17 minutes ago, essjay said:

I am sure we will cross paths at some point Pickles, week days are a bit hard for me as I am self employed and work load is very heavy for me the past few years. Its a shame because I live right on the river yet struggle to get time on it even now with a boat. Most days after work I just don't have the drive to get out there after I finally finish calls for the day at 6 or 7pm.

Hi essjay and welcome to the site. Glad that you're finding information on here that is helping you to improve your fishing. The problem which you have is one that many people have. (You get better at something that is pleasurable and want to do it more often). The benefits to our human psyche can be immense, if we can accommodate spending more time doing the things we love to do. 

The problem for you, and many others, is finding a satisfactory balance between work/income and leisure. I have 3 daughters who have that same problem. I have only one thing to say about that situation. "We're only here once, so getting the balance right is essential" if you could use a bit more leisure time, make the changes.

ps. Apologies for being so blunt. There is more to life than work! Try to find time to go fishing with Pickles, he is an absolute wealth of knowledge and experience. It will be well worth your time. 

bn

• Like 3

I agree with @big Neil.

Good to hear you're gainfully self-employed @essjay. Problem with being self-employed is that you're likely to have the nastiest, most sadistic boss you're ever going to have 🤣. You got to look after yourself so you can be at your best for work and fishing alike!

Another suggestion is to get out for some after-work landbased sessions! Make it easy for yourself; simple gear, simple methods, don't worry about the boat during the work week. Keep everything you need ready to go so that you can knock-off and be on the water in under 10 mins.

I know that the Brooklyn precinct is very heavily fished, but after you finish work could often be a peak time to head down for a flick. Set low expectations; just aim to get out for a 20-30min walk, having a few casts along the way. Surely you'll get distracted by a few fish! The fresh air (and maybe a few fish) will do you good, and maybe rejuvenate you enough to take the boat out when you're less busy.

I totally understand the proximity thing. I've been living close to water for the past 15 years, but it took until the pandemic for me to buck the trend and head down for a fish as often as I should. My trick is that if all I do is 5 mins of fishing a day, I say I've turned the day into a good one! More often than not, I'm only down there for 20 mins to 2 hours. Even if it's only to see how a new lure swims or try a new casting technique. Sure, some fish are caught, but it's done me a world of good in other ways. And I learn something every time I'm on the water, which has improved my fishing dramatically.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, essjay said:

I am located in Brooklyn so will be launching from the ruins.

Hey essjay, have you just moved to the Brooklyn area? I'm also in Brooklyn and struggle to get the chance to get out for a fish. I can't make it this weekend, but would be keen to find a fishing partner. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, seasponge said:

Hey essjay, have you just moved to the Brooklyn area? I'm also in Brooklyn and struggle to get the chance to get out for a fish. I can't make it this weekend, but would be keen to find a fishing partner. 

I moved here a year ago and love it, i am never moving back into Sydney willingly. Drop me a PM and i am sure we can line up some line time in the near future.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

I agree with @big Neil.

Good to hear you're gainfully self-employed @essjay. Problem with being self-employed is that you're likely to have the nastiest, most sadistic boss you're ever going to have 🤣. You got to look after yourself so you can be at your best for work and fishing alike!

Another suggestion is to get out for some after-work landbased sessions! Make it easy for yourself; simple gear, simple methods, don't worry about the boat during the work week. Keep everything you need ready to go so that you can knock-off and be on the water in under 10 mins.

I know that the Brooklyn precinct is very heavily fished, but after you finish work could often be a peak time to head down for a flick. Set low expectations; just aim to get out for a 20-30min walk, having a few casts along the way. Surely you'll get distracted by a few fish! The fresh air (and maybe a few fish) will do you good, and maybe rejuvenate you enough to take the boat out when you're less busy.

I totally understand the proximity thing. I've been living close to water for the past 15 years, but it took until the pandemic for me to buck the trend and head down for a fish as often as I should. My trick is that if all I do is 5 mins of fishing a day, I say I've turned the day into a good one! More often than not, I'm only down there for 20 mins to 2 hours. Even if it's only to see how a new lure swims or try a new casting technique. Sure, some fish are caught, but it's done me a world of good in other ways. And I learn something every time I'm on the water, which has improved my fishing dramatically.

I hear you loud and clear, just a bit short staffed at the moment due to the current climate. I do get out a long the river most days to walk my dog, that coupled with other activities enables me to take better care of myself.  By the way, there are fish here just not in the heavily fished spots. The locals know where they are and are protective of these spots. I understand why now and have become the same.

For the record, I don't eat what I catch, I just like getting out on the water. I love the water and always have. My fishing consists of me catching then releasing them. As we all know on here fishing is a wonderful way to forget about work and other stuff in life that can weigh us down if we let it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big Neil said:

Hi essjay and welcome to the site. Glad that you're finding information on here that is helping you to improve your fishing. The problem which you have is one that many people have. (You get better at something that is pleasurable and want to do it more often). The benefits to our human psyche can be immense, if we can accommodate spending more time doing the things we love to do. 

The problem for you, and many others, is finding a satisfactory balance between work/income and leisure. I have 3 daughters who have that same problem. I have only one thing to say about that situation. "We're only here once, so getting the balance right is essential" if you could use a bit more leisure time, make the changes.

ps. Apologies for being so blunt. There is more to life than work! Try to find time to go fishing with Pickles, he is an absolute wealth of knowledge and experience. It will be well worth your time. 

bn

I only work to recover from my weekends so rest assured I am doing alright ;)

• Haha 2

On 5/5/2022 at 11:16 AM, big Neil said:

bn

Took your advice today and got the boat out at lunch time, after kicking work to the side for some well being time on my self. Fished at some usual spots and got a few got hits but no hookups. Got bored so headed out to Broken Bay and fished off the island out that way (Lion Island?)  . Hooked a massive something , probably a ray, that i fought for 20 plus minutes. It ended up bending the hooks on my vibe and got off before i could identify it, I was so so close to getting it up as I only wound in a few meters when the vibe finally let go.

I cant post the video I shared with my mates of the action as it has some animated language in it that may breach the rules here ;)

Was using a 2-5kg rob with a Daiwa 2500 and 10lb braid with 20lb leader. Such a good fight, body still aches from it as I type this reply . First time I have tried using vibes, got a Cod ( of course) and whatever the big thing was. :)

I understand now why people invest in quality hooks for their lures!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, essjay said:

Took your advice today and got the boat out at lunch time, after kicking work to the side for some well being time on my self. Fished at some usual spots and got a few got hits but no hookups. Got bored so headed out to Broken Bay and fished off the island out that way (Lion Island?)  . Hooked a massive something , probably a ray, that i fought for 20 plus minutes. It ended up bending the hooks on my vibe and got off before i could identify it, I was so so close to getting it up as I only wound in a few meters when the vibe finally let go.

I cant post the video I shared with my mates of the action as it has some animated language in it that may breach the rules here ;)

Was using a 2-5kg rob with a Daiwa 2500 and 10lb braid with 20lb leader. Such a good fight, body still aches from it as I type this reply . First time I have tried using vibes, got a Cod ( of course) and whatever the big thing was. :)

I understand now why people invest in quality hooks for their lures!

Mate I am thrilled that you went out and persisted with the therapy. GOOD ON YOU! Couple of worthwhile lessons learned too. Consider using quality hooks, as they get a workout from decent fish and "animated language" is a rite of passage in those circumstances. Keep it up, you are well on the way to being a very useful subscriber on Fishraider. Cheers, bn 

• Like 1