Crazy kayak trip number 7

Black CC

I just got back from another crazy kayak trip. We went a bit earlier this year which meant the water was warmer, the fishing was amazing but kayaking when it's 38 degrees with no wind was challenging. We started this trip with the 2 helicopters dropping the 4 of us on the banks of the Hann River about 5km upstream from where it flows into the Fitzroy River in the Kimberley. The plan was to kayak for about 10km each day for 7 days with the extraction point about 70km downstream. The fishing in the Fitzroy was absolutely amazing. I caught a 92 cm Barra with my second cast (see the photo) and the biggest caught was 110cm. Catching big Barra out of a blow up kayak is seriously good fun but just don't let the dorsal fins too close to the boat.

We managed to catch a Barra for dinner each day and we also caught plenty of Cherabin. I caught 25 Barra across the 7 days with the majority between 80cm and 90cm. Most were caught just trolling a lure behind the kayak while we paddled down the river. Some were caught casting at snags.

Lunch spot Fitzroy 2022.jpg

92cm Barra 2022.JPG

• Like 14

WOW what an adventure. Great that you got to do it while you are young enough and fit enough. Fabulous results catching that many quality fish. I will have to look up Cherabin to see what they are. I have always wanted to go to the Kimberleys but alas age is against me. Thanks for sharing your adventure. Do you feel like posting some more photos? I would certainly like to see them. bn

20 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

What an adventure in a blow up kayak!! Did you see any crocs ? 

It is fun there in the Kimberley so much to see and do.  

We had a lot of issues with aggressive freshwater crocs last year but we saw very few this year. Our extraction point was not far downstream from Dimond Gorge so still way too far upstream for any Salties.

17 hours ago, big Neil said:

WOW what an adventure. Great that you got to do it while you are young enough and fit enough. Fabulous results catching that many quality fish. I will have to look up Cherabin to see what they are. I have always wanted to go to the Kimberleys but alas age is against me. Thanks for sharing your adventure. Do you feel like posting some more photos? I would certainly like to see them. bn

BN, you can fly to Perth and then to Fitzroy Crossing and go heli-fishing and that is an amazing experience. Best time is September / October when there is not much water and you can see the Barra and catch them from the rocks. I have shared another couple of photos below. The catfish were so hungry we often caught double headers like the one in the photo.

Barra on the Fitzroy May 2022.jpg

Catfish 2022.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GordoRetired said:

That sounds like a lot of fun. How were the hotels along the way for the over night stops? 🙂 

The hotels were all 5 star except the place we call Spider Hell. We set up the tents and then realised too late that there was a major spider infestation all around us. It was too dark to move so we tried to manage the situation the best we could. In the tents by 7.30pm. Some of the spiders were massive so that spot was definitely not 5 star. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, Centrepin said:

Wow. What an adventure again.

This is remote and so great the fishing is good.

Lets hope it can stay that way.

Thanks so much for the opportunity to dream and wonder

Appreciated,

Geoff

Geoff,

There is not a lot of fishing pressure on the system up there. There are a few remote indigenous communities we have seen fishing from the banks 2 or 3 times over the years but that's it. We took a total of 7 fish for food and did not see another human being for 7 days. The only fish we kept were between 65cm and 75cm (enough for 4 of us for dinner) and caught between 3pm and 4.30pm. They are hard to keep fresh in the heat, so we wait until towards the end of the day before we keep one. So you are right, it is certainly remote and the fishing is good.

Cheers,

Tony