Long to short conversion

Bloggsy

I am still looking at getting a new motor for my polycraft tuffy rated at 15 hp so here is the story so far.

Due to medical issues I want a 4 stroke with electric start and power tilt and trim no manufacturers make a short shaft 15 hp with tilt and trim.

So options are get hull recertified to 20 hp but one company I approached wont do it

Fit an after market tilt and trim $1,000 plus

Or my latest thinking is can I buy a long shaft 15 hp with tilt and trim and convert it to a short shaft?

is it only the drive housing that is different would this be all I need and change over bits and pieces?

And the motor I have decided on is a Suzuki DF15A

Any help would be appreciated.

Depends on the motor, but the differences are the drive shaft, shift shaft, water pump tube and the housing/leg itself, is it possible to build the transom up with a solid aluminium plate to extend it to long shaft? if possible, that would be the best option.

• Like 1

Just had a look at parts list looks a bit expensive drive shaft-water tube-clutch shaft-gear shaft-swivel bracket-swivel tube-housing may go aftermarket  tilt and trim.

57 minutes ago, Bloggsy said:

Or my latest thinking is can I buy a long shaft 15 hp with tilt and trim and

As Noel said, build up your transom to take the long shaft, or look at aftermarket jacking plates .... it's been discussed previously ...

Cheers Zoran

• Like 1

A long shaft is 5" longer than a short shaft, can you mount the long shaft motor in the very bottom holes and maybe get the cav plate near level with the bottom of the boat?

Got a message from Browns Point Marine USA and their advice was to purchase a DF9.9BTHS4 which comes with electric start and tilt and trim and then upgrade it I am waiting to hear back how but I assume ECU and remove air restrictor. But of course the catch is that it is not available outside of the USA. 

Did you look into lifting transom? be way better in the long run if it's possible. Why would a dealer even suggest an option that's not even available here? not too sure how warranty would go either!

Edited by noelm

Another issue could be getting any outboard ATM , lifting the height and using a long shaft may be your only choice as i think there is still a wait until 2023 for engines bought this year . Getting something shipped from the USA will cost big $$$ and their versions may not meet out emissions or covered by warranty etc .

It may pay to go to your local dealer and see what is available if anything and talk to them about what options you have available to you .