Woronora River - First trophy fish

Oscarthebeagle

Sorry another slightly late report from 2 weeks ago.

Took my 2 boys out on the Woronora for an afternoon trip, i find it a nice easy quiet river to fish.

Dead low tide when we launched and we pumped some nippers and squirt worms as we moved down the river chasing some tide movement.

Started fishing around Como area first couple of fish went to 8 year old, undersize bream and whiting. For some reason the fish just would not bite on the 6 year old's line, same rig, same bait, same area just would not bite.

Noticed my 1kg outfit getting a small bite and told the 6 year old to take it from the rod holder, he strikes and starts pulling in what appears to be a small fish but things change when it doesn't come up to the surface, but continues under the back of the boat and and heads straight out the front of the boat. Heavy weight on the line, head shakes and continues to take short 5-10m runs before coming back to the boat before taking off again in a different direction, all those trevally over the past months have his technique pretty good. Keeping the pressure on, trying to keep his head in the water, keeping the line clear of the boat/motor all on the lightest of fishing line where any mistake will cost you.

These runs happens probably a dozen times before we finally get sight of the fish, dirty water meant we couldn't see very well even in only a meter of water. Quickly change to the bigger net and keep encouraging the angler,  first chance and a nice flathead slides into the net. 

Not the biggest fish ever, but a 71cm fish on 1kg (pretest mono) when you are 6 years old is a great capture.

Once it was in the boat we found out why it was a strange fight, in the fishes mouth was a 22cm bream and our little whiting hook stuck in the roof of the flatheads mouth. I assume the bream took the nipper bait, the flathead saw an easy meal and ate the bream and the hook has slipped out of the bream sticking in the flathead. 

After a few photos I gave Coen the choice as it was his fish and he choose to keep it, being his first big fish I think was a reasonable decision, and into the esky it went.

We move back into the Woronora fishing a few spots but only catch undersize bream and whiting, pull the boat out just on dark and take home a very excited boy with his big fish.

We showed it to fisherman at the wharf, the neighbour, to mum, to Nanny, to Marnie and Grandpa @hookerbruce and even took photos to school for show and tell.

Thanks for reading

Ash 

20220501_160459.jpg

20220501_160235(0).jpg

• Like 16

That is a horse of a flattie for anyone! I would be very happy with that. I have caught flatties that have taken smaller bream, tarwhine and baby snapper that have been hooked as well, the must hang around the smaller fish and wait for their moment to pounce. That has certainly been the case numerous times in the past.

Well done.

16 hours ago, campr said:

I love fishing 1kg pretest but it's rarely done these days by anyone.  I assume you are a fellow ANSA fisherman?   Ron 

Yes, ANSA fisherman. Member of Happy Hookers Sport fishing club and fished tournaments for 35+ years, never won much but have set a few records over the years. My dad Bruce Robinson wins a bit more than me.

Have done line class fishing since I was a little kid, always liked the challenge of it and have always found lighter line gets more bites.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Oscarthebeagle said:

Yes, ANSA fisherman. Member of Happy Hookers Sport fishing club and fished tournaments for 35+ years, never won much but have set a few records over the years. My dad Bruce Robinson wins a bit more than me.

Have done line class fishing since I was a little kid, always liked the challenge of it and have always found lighter line gets more bites.

I'm with StGeorge Sportfishing.  Fishing 1kg is a dying art and I suspect that the line class will be dicontinued.  I have been pretty lucky and have won Sydney estuary comp 10 times, Nowra 7 and Narooma twice.  Best flathead on 1kg are two at 97cm and 5.6kg.  Age is starting to slow me down now and these 3 day comps are getting to be a challenge but looking forward to Sydney recommencing later this year.  Good luck.  Ron