Sydney Harbour 14/5

So...

Being a afternoon night shift worker, any wake up before 7:30am ( have to help get a kid to school) is horrendous in my books.

So for some absurd reason, I got up 6:40am, and got to Silverwater ramp just before 8am. Nice morning, looking at the fog hanging over town, and I'd say just about every maritime boat out there! Have they nothing better to do?😁.

Anchored up at cobblers at about 9am, Burley out, squid spike in the water, yakkas turned up but they refused to be caught! Took nearly two hours to get 4 damn fish, that and the squid spike was getting hit with no hook ups..

Ergh....

So I motored across to north head, about 11am ish, saw a few boats about and a damn maritime right in the old man's hat spot! I could hear the collective grumbling from the other boat guys wanting to fish there, including me, so I drifted about up and down a bit using the sounder to find fish, few big hits on two yellow tail and the frozen squid but nothing in the boat, so I went across to inside south head, put lines out, saw arcs and bananas on the sounder, but no real bites, so I tossed a squid jig about .4 casts and two decent calamari, so I'm happy, I cut the heads off and put out for bait, no takers. (Yes the heads are in the photo as they didn't get taken and my damn phone didn't take the photos correctly so I had the heads still for the photos)

Head scratching by now ..

So I basically drifted along with squid on one line and my last live yellow tail on the other, just enjoying the view, and before I decide to go home, I grabbed the big line, heavy as with shakes. Nice 67cm flathead took a live yakka. Bonus, fish and calamari for dinner. About 1:30pm. 

Despite the early wake up, I still got my catches from about 11am onwards, so I'm not going to bother getting up early again, I seem to be successful in middle of day towards Arvos. Works better for me anyway.

IMG_20220514_184230_817.jpg

IMG_20220514_184230_775.jpg

IMG_20220514_184230_669.jpg

IMG_20220514_184230_521.jpg

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

Very comprehensive report Dave, well done on the squid. Those Yakkas can be cunning devils at times. Bananas on your sounder - I’ll have to get one of those (😂). 67 is a really good flattie Dave.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Very comprehensive report Dave, well done on the squid. Those Yakkas can be cunning devils at times. Bananas on your sounder - I’ll have to get one of those (😂). 67 is a really good flattie Dave.

Thanks, I think it's full moon, so maybe the fish were on smoko, as they just seemed to be there, but not really interested....