Finally got a hairtail, plus a tip for the rig

FrigateMack

The weather forecast last Friday looked OK, so I launched my inflatable cat at Appletree Bay and headed out to Jerusalem Bay. There were about 10 other boats there already. I would probably avoid the weekend as I like it less busy. Once at the spot, I started the burley, but I had to wait until about 9pm before the bite started. I lost about 4 or 5 fish until I figured out the right rig. A ganged hook with 20 or 30 cm of PE coated (black) wire, then a 20lb leader and 20lb main line. Blinking underwater red LED light about 30cm up the leader. The fish didn't really show up easily on the fish finder, or at least were hard to tell from the school of bait fish that I created with the burley. I experimented with different bait (pillies) depth, and in the end all the bites seem to come at about mid-water, a few meters down. I used pillies. 

This is the first time I tried and happy that I got a nice feed. Btw, I'd say catching 2 or 3 would be enough for a decent dinner. No need to catch up to legal limit (10). Leave the rest for the next time.

Hairtail are vicious, and fight like a large tailor, I'd say. They managed to bite through 50lb leader easily, hence the need for the wire rig.

I headed back around midnight in total darkness. I had both a phone app and the fish finder to help me navigate, although I know the area reasonably well, too.

Got a couple of trevallies on the same setup, which are always a welcome bycatch.

IMG_4484_2.png

Edited by FrigateMack
  • Like 12

2 hours ago, FrigateMack said:

The weather forecast last Friday looked OK, so I launched my inflatable cat at Appletree Bay and headed out to Jerusalem Bay. There were about 10 other boats there already. I would probably avoid the weekend as I like it less busy. Once at the spot, I started the burley, but I had to wait until about 9pm before the bite started. I lost about 4 or 5 fish until I figured out the right rig. A ganged hook with 20 or 30 cm of PE coated (black) wire, then a 20lb leader and 20lb main line. Blinking underwater red LED light about 30cm up the leader. The fish didn't really show up easily on the fish finder, or at least were hard to tell from the school of bait fish that I created with the burley. I experimented with different bait (pillies) depth, and in the end all the bites seem to come at about mid-water, a few meters down. I used pillies. 

This is the first time I tried and happy that I got a nice feed. Btw, I'd say catching 2 or 3 would be enough for a decent dinner. No need to catch up to legal limit (10). Leave the rest for the next time.

Hairtail are vicious, and fight like a large tailor, I'd say. They managed to bite through 50lb leader easily, hence the need for the wire rig.

I headed back around midnight in total darkness. I had both a phone app and the fish finder to help me navigate, although I know the area reasonably well, too.

Got a couple of trevallies on the same setup, which are always a welcome bycatch.

IMG_4484_2.png

Great job and feed. If it's not working change it up - just part of fishing. Reading your posts reminded me that I had also posted about hairtail rigs many years ago.. probably one of my first few posts on FR...

Cheers Zoran

• Like 1