New kayak setup

slothparade

Sorry to ask this again. But I'm looking for some suggestions as for a new general purpose kayak setup. As I'm not 100% sure as to what I want to do but thinking along the lines of speed jigging, bottom bashing, live baiting, drift bait, basically everything. 

I have a few questions that I need some guidance on. 

First being, overhead or spinning? A small overhead like an ocean jigger, saltist, fathom ect on a jigging rod soun gods nice and having the lever is awesome for live bait ect. But am I limiting myself to only being able to use this off the kayak and if so, I'm potentially shooting myself in the foot. If I were to go spinning, I'm also limiting myself to not having the lever drag, which I'll definitely miss but they're more versatile. I'd be going a slammer 3 HS, as I much prefer the look, or a saragosa or stradic. 

Next question, baitrunner? This would bridge the gap between a lever drag and a spinning reel but, can you jig with them? Also how well would they suit my needs? What bait runners should I be chasing? I was thinking the baitrunner D or the spinfisher Live liner. 

Is there any other things I should be looking out for? 

Thanks 

Edited by slothparade

Bsit runner for high speed jigging? Wouldn't be a very good option you need a high geared reel or your arms will fall off after the first drop not to mention a kayak is not a very good option for jigging from.

Go a basic overhead setup

I personally think you should just go the overhead and get it over and done with. I understand you want one reel to cater for many different types of fishing, however I cant remember reading a single post from you that wasn't fishing on a kayak.

The other thing with OH, you'll may find it a little more manageable on a kayak as the reel sits on top of rod compared to a reel that sits on bottom.

20 hours ago, dirvin21 said:

Bsit runner for high speed jigging? Wouldn't be a very good option you need a high geared reel or your arms will fall off after the first drop not to mention a kayak is not a very good option for jigging from.

Go a basic overhead setup

What about the spinfisher Live liner for jigging? I think they have a higher gear ratio. It take a little while but now I've been having a bit of success on the jigs from the kayak 🙂, took long enough lol. 

What kind of basic overhead would you recommend?

4 hours ago, Rob81 said:

I personally think you should just go the overhead and get it over and done with. I understand you want one reel to cater for many different types of fishing, however I cant remember reading a single post from you that wasn't fishing on a kayak.

The other thing with OH, you'll may find it a little more manageable on a kayak as the reel sits on top of rod compared to a reel that sits on bottom.

My main problem with just going an overhead, is will it give me something I already don't have and what would I be using it for. Vs a spin reel. Versatility is very important for me as I do about 60% land based and 40% kayak. 

This new setup will be pretty heavy, probably used for king's, big snapper, any tuna species ect. 

On another note I do have a tr200g with 20lbs mono which I'm thinking of respooling and using it for snapper flashers.