Frustrations

frankS

Hit the bay at about 6am and was greeted by a splendid full moon just over the 3rd runway, ( can't load photo for some reason ) I immediately thought " today is going to be tough fishing " . I wasn't wrong.

My plan was to catch a few small squid then downrigg them for a decent kinkie as my mate Stewart hasn't caught a legal king .

Drove the boat to my preferred squid area and first up the sounder wasn't working, GPS no problem but no sonar, so I got as close to where I wanted to be and we started fishing, or Stewie did I concentrated on keeping the boat off the rocks and fiddling with the sounder trying to get it to work.

Stewie caught 1 nice sized green eye and we thought my first thoughts may be wrong.

I continued to play with the sounder, getting more frustrated with the damn thing and finally decided it was not going to happen.

Anyhow that first squid must have been a fluke as we drifted the area for another hour without a touch.

Later decided to change positions so headed over to Kernel and try there, 3 drifts later we had another 2 nice bait sized squid in the live well.

Not a lot happening and all this time Stewie had a prawn on another line that was not touched in about 3 hours.

Decided to go to the container wall and start downrigging . there were only 2 boats there that told me the fish were not there.

I thought it may be worth another drift through Yarra bay and maybe pick up a couple of Flathead and a few more Squid, 2 drifts later and stewie's plawn still attached to his hook and neither of us getting so much as a touch we decided to just sit back and relax and enjoy the very calm conditions of the bay.

A few boats were gathering and many boats coming back into the bay from outside, so I gathered the fishing was probably as bad outside as it was inside so decided to call it a day and head home.

Very frustrating day fish wish but a beautiful morning to spend on the water.

No photos as my phone won't load photos to my computer.

Frank

• Like 9

Just now, motiondave said:

Sounds like a good day anyway, to be out on the water regardless.

Did you take the scorpion out? 

Or hop in another boat...

Yes, it's full moon, has seemed to be off for fishing since the weekend just gone, maybe in a few days it improves....but that's of course, only when we can get out for a fish.

Yes Dave, the Scorpion performed beautifully , still a bit hard to load onto the trailer but when I finally get around to making the rear V section for it I will be able to drive on and off.

Think I have worked out why the sounder is not working, When I was installing the transducer I think I crimped the tranny wire and may have damaged it, My Bad . After all these years and dozens of installs I still make a rookies mistake. I was bending over and suppressing my lungs and couldn't breath properly and rushed it a bit and didn't quite have the wires where they were supposed to be. maybe an expensive mistake, might have to buy another transducer.

I am happy with the way the boat handles and all but will have to free steering up a bit as now my wrists are sore through the many maneuvers of a tight steering system. Holding a rod in one hand while steering with the other.

Frank

• Like 1

Good that you got out on the water Frank. Essential that you did... to establish if there were any problems. Always a few little things to fix and you will soon be right, especially when you have the drive on drive off sorted.

I have a strong opinion, based on MY personal experiences, that the full moon has a negative impact on fishing success. I'm sure that others may disagree.

How are you trying to send photos to your PC from your phone? Are you plugging the phone into the PC via a USB or trying to do it by Bluetooth? Am I right in assuming that your phone and PC are Apple devices?

Lovely to catch up with you and Val last week. I'm getting organised to plant those cuttings which Val gave me (succulents).

Cheers, Neil

Good to get a report in from the bay. 

trevs, bonito, flattys and small kings about from what I’ve heard. And apparently some snapper from around Kurnell down to boat harbour.

5 hours ago, big Neil said:

Good that you got out on the water Frank. Essential that you did... to establish if there were any problems. Always a few little things to fix and you will soon be right, especially when you have the drive on drive off sorted.

I have a strong opinion, based on MY personal experiences, that the full moon has a negative impact on fishing success. I'm sure that others may disagree.

How are you trying to send photos to your PC from your phone? Are you plugging the phone into the PC via a USB or trying to do it by Bluetooth? Am I right in assuming that your phone and PC are Apple devices?

Lovely to catch up with you and Val last week. I'm getting organised to plant those cuttings which Val gave me (succulents).

Cheers, Neil

Neil. Took the photos with a OPPO phone, used to plug usb into phone and comp and it took me to a menu where I could load photos, about 2 weeks ago my granddaughter showed me how to load photos from my APPLE phone and since then, not only have I forgotten what she showed me but now the OPPO doesn't work.

I was going to keep the apple for phone calls as it's got the sim card in it and use the OPPO for photos.

Frank

14 hours ago, frankS said:

Neil. Took the photos with a OPPO phone, used to plug usb into phone and comp and it took me to a menu where I could load photos, about 2 weeks ago my granddaughter showed me how to load photos from my APPLE phone and since then, not only have I forgotten what she showed me but now the OPPO doesn't work.

I was going to keep the apple for phone calls as it's got the sim card in it and use the OPPO for photos.

Frank

You're obviously as thick as a plank like me Frank. Get her to show you again, do it several times, then it might stick in the memory bank. We're good at some things, apparently computers are not included. Cheers, Neil.

8 hours ago, jenno64 said:

At least you got onto the water, a few squid and beautiful conditions are both good for the mental health!!

Rob, The salt air done my nose heaps of good as well. I have problems with nasal pollops and breathing in the salt air clears them up slightly.

Can't believe all that time on the water and not even a occky to unhook.

Frank