Monday 3 hour session landed 5 near the harbour

papafish

Once again my Monday and Tuesday off kind of thing.

Straight after school drop off. Grab my coffee and got to my spot at 10. And finished at 1.

first cast after burley I landed a Max tuna😂 any they any good eating???.

2nd chance was also a big hit. The line were flying as I have my spool open and strike the bloody hook for chew off after a few seconds! I assume it was another max tuna or a decent Taylor.

it got slow afterwards just 2 more legal bream and 2 Trev. Plenty of undersize bream though.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, papafish said:

Straight after school drop off. Grab my coffee and got to my spot at 10. And finished at 1.

2nd chance was also a big hit. The line were flying as I have my spool open and strike the bloody hook for chew off after a few seconds! I assume it was another max tuna or a decent Taylor.

it got slow afterwards just 2 more legal bream and 2 Trev. Plenty of undersize bream though.

3024C948-38EC-4E3D-B2AD-D990CBC9FAE2.jpeg

• Like 8

Well done with the fish. I would definitely go with @noelm and @Restyle with using the mack tuna for bait. If you end up catching bonito you can eat those and use the blood line for bait, but you can also salt the whole fillets (skin on) and use them for bait.

11 hours ago, noelm said:

Mack Tuna, keep for bait,  very red meat, and strong taste, maybe you might like that? But for me, excellent bait.

I gave them all away. As bait!?? Fillet them or salt them up? Might try next time thx

8 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Well done with the fish. I would definitely go with @noelm and @Restyle with using the mack tuna for bait. If you end up catching bonito you can eat those and use the blood line for bait, but you can also salt the whole fillets (skin on) and use them for bait.

So mactuna is a bait fish. I always thought they were better eatting then bonito… can they be sashimi fish lol

7 hours ago, papafish said:

So mactuna is a bait fish. I always thought they were better eatting then bonito… can they be sashimi fish lol

Correct, bonito can definitely be sashimi provided you bleed it and take good care of the flesh, eg not washing in any salt of fresh water before eating, removing ALL the bloodline and firm the fillet up straight away (preferably with an ice water slurry). And when filleting don't get any guts on the fillet if you plan to eat it.

On 5/17/2022 at 9:06 AM, papafish said:

We call Mac Tuna legendary fish in Japan because it never gets to the retail distribution network as you  don't catch it in large number, but it is famous for having fatty tuna like meat and thus people love it. If bleed properly you can have excellent sashimi or tataki (slightly seared). You can also have it deep fried with starch after marinating in soy sauce and ginger. If caught, I always take it home to make my family happy. See attached for the end product

IMG_9051.JPG

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Siesta911 said:

We call Mac Tuna legendary fish in Japan because it never gets to the retail distribution network as you  don't catch it in large number, but it is famous for having fatty tuna like meat and thus people love it. If bleed properly you can have excellent sashimi or tataki (slightly seared). You can also have it deep fried with starch after marinating in soy sauce and ginger. If caught, I always take it home to make my family happy. See attached for the end product

IMG_9051.JPG

Yeah it looks very nice! I always thought it was a good fish but yet to fry😂 maybe next time

15 hours ago, Siesta911 said:

IMG_9051.JPG

this very interesting!  i would never  have a go at them after  obviously overcooking them in the past , next time  i will give them a go 

7 hours ago, leonardgid said:

this very interesting!  i would never  have a go at them after  obviously overcooking them in the past , next time  i will give them a go 

Yes, definitely you should give a go!!