bad problem with my little 8hp yamaha 2 stroke

timfishes

Hi guys just wandering if anyone knows what the problem of my motor when the lower shaft was clicking in neutral then to it to be fine when in gear. Then after using it for a bit the motor stopped suddenly in neutral and wouldn't start. It might of been the choke that made it stop in neutral but im not sure why it didnt start again. Its a Yamaha 8hp 2 stroke 2002 model just wandering if anyone knew what the problem is.

maybe a neutral switch problem as you desribed clicking in neutral the engine may think it is in gear which will stop it starting . check that prop spins freely when engine is off and spark plug lead removed and engine in neutral, if not   adjust gear linkage . cheers dunc333

I don't think an 8HP will have a start in gear switch, more likely some kind of mechanical gizmo to prevent the rope being pulled.

edit......is this electric start?

Edited by noelm

I don’t know if 8hp motors came with the electric start option especially a 2002 model . It will have an in gear lock for the pull starter which is connected to the gear selector via a linkage or cable - if you can’t pull the starter  cord out when the motor is in neutral this is what is causing it , maybe needs adjusting or the cable has broken .

The clicking could be the drive dogs on the gears clashing which is remedied by adjusting the linkages for the gear selector .

If it was running then stopped and won’t start again you could have a dead plug , dead ignition system , crook cut out switch ( stop switch ) or the engine might have an over temp cut out switch - the engine would start again once cooled down though if it was this causing the problem .

Edited by XD351