Sad Day for Alvey Fans

Green Hornet

Alvey have just annonuced today that as from 30th June, their factory will no longer remain in production.

Reels parts and other merchandise will remain available until stock is no longer available.

Personally I will be sad to see another Aussie icon disappear from the sheves, especially considering my first ever reel was an Alvey and I have fished with these reels for almost 60 years.

Edited by mrsswordfisherman
I have added the link or read the announcement in thread below
  • Like 1
  • Sad 5

Got to give them this much - they gave it everything to stay in business.

Just one more step closer to Australia turning into Fantasy island where the only thing we make is tourists happy . Better get in quick if you were thinking of buying an alvey , I might have to grab another Luderick reel and a nipper pump !

• Like 3

If interested, you can read their announcement on Alvey’s website, or its everywhere on social media.

Reading between the lines I can’t help but get the feeling they may possibly be looking at overseas production, though they definitely don’t state that.

• Like 1

Dear Alvey Supporters

After announcing in 2019 that Alvey Reels was going into its centenary year of 2020 with a bright outlook and emerging global markets, Alvey Reels has seen significant export market growth, product innovation and expansion. The ability to source raw materials together with drastic cost increases, significant and increasing domestic and global supply chain logistics issues, and coupled with Covid 19 disruptive staff shortages, Alvey Reels has made the difficult decision that production at the Carole Park facility is no longer sustainable, and to cease manufacturing effective 30th June 2022.

We are currently sitting on significant supplies across our whole range of Alvey products, and as such, there will be structured sell down of ALL our stock. We anticipate running with Warehouse/Dispatch and Administration staff with current stock on hand, which will carry us through to January/February 2023, but we will not be able to remain open after this time. Effective immediately to assist our administration team, the Alvey phones will be diverted to an answering service and all calls will be monitored and returned during each day.

Any Alvey products including spare parts, can be ordered online at www.alvey.com.au and any queries can be emailed to info@alvey.com.au. All Alvey authorised retailers can while stocks last, order Alvey products, but Alvey spare parts can only be purchased from Alvey online or preferably from Tackleland Sandgate or Charlton’s Fishing.

We at Alvey Reels deeply regret this difficult decision, and whilst we commit to supplying as many of our products as we can for as long as we can, our immediate priorities are our loyal staff, our dedicated retailers and passionate supporters and customers.

On behalf of the Alvey Team, we thank you all for your 102 years of support.

Kind Regards,
Con Athans and the Alvey Team
Alvey Reels Australia – A Reel Icon

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

I think to set up manufacturing overseas would be expensive , threadline and bait caster reels already have a pile of generic manufacturers and it is just a matter of re badging but there is only one side cast reel manufacturer in the world that I know of .

I think that leaves Platypus as the only one  left ( other than lure and custom rod makers )that makes anything here now . Not sure iF Wilson make rods here anymore .

• Like 2

I was having a peruse on the Alvey website yesterday arvo , had a look at the Alvey float and the Luderick special ( the float is stainless backplate,Luderick is Graphite otherwise the same reel ) I checked the stock on both reels and the float had a few in stock , the Luderick had more but checked again early this morning and the float had sold out and the Luderick was heading that way fast !Fortunately the Luderick was still available along with the R55 rod I had my eye on and the 1m bait pump so they are heading my way. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, XD351 said:

I was having a peruse on the Alvey website yesterday arvo , had a look at the Alvey float and the Luderick special ( the float is stainless backplate,Luderick is Graphite otherwise the same reel ) I checked the stock on both reels and the float had a few in stock , the Luderick had more but checked again early this morning and the float had sold out and the Luderick was heading that way fast !Fortunately the Luderick was still available along with the R55 rod I had my eye on and the 1m bait pump so they are heading my way. 

Good score. I only use an Alvey blackfish reel when I need the casting distance that the sidecast can offer and they're great for that.

You won't regret the 1 metre bait pump. I bought one last year and for a guy with a bad back, it was a Godsend.

• Like 2

A very sad situation indeed, and one that may not be an isolated case in the near future. Covid has rocked the business world severely and while we may appear to be "on the road to recovery", other parts of the world are definitely not. Our reliance on other countries supplying us with goods and raw materials are being seriously disrupted.

Labor has a desire to reinstate Aussie manufacturing, an ideal that many of us may support... but it may be more difficult than anticipated, given the current world situation.

DISCLAIMER: this post is not politically motivated, it is merely an observation of the author.

bn

• Like 5

Very sad to see such an iconic brand go - have always seen them used but have never really had the time to try one out as I've only been fishing for about 1.5 years.

I would like to try and get my hands on one before they are gone for good - would anybody be able to recommend a reel + technique where the uniqueness of the Alvey really shines? I've seen them used for luderick and black drummer, however, I enjoy all forms of fishing along the east coast.

Thanks all

This is definitely a sad day as I suspect many Raiders who would fit into the "older generation" grew up with Alvey reels and bait pumps. Its been discussed before on Fishraider but one of their challenges has been the near indesctructible nature of their reels. Here's a photo of my Alvey shrine (plus a few other old bits and pieces), all of these reels would be 45 plus years old and still in usable condition. It doesn't include my new reels (25 years old) that I use for beach fishing.

Its a terrible loss to the Australian fishing industry!

IMG_4310.jpeg

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Tommy TJ said:

Very sad to see such an iconic brand go - have always seen them used but have never really had the time to try one out as I've only been fishing for about 1.5 years.

I would like to try and get my hands on one before they are gone for good - would anybody be able to recommend a reel + technique where the uniqueness of the Alvey really shines? I've seen them used for luderick and black drummer, however, I enjoy all forms of fishing along the east coast.

Thanks all

@Tommy TJ Rock and beach fishing I suspect are the two standout applications. Basically any kind of fishing where reels are harshly treated and exposed to sand and salt. For those reasons, I have a suspicion that they would be useful for some forms of kayak/jetski fishing as well.

I feel the same re wanting to try one. I've watched people use Alveys all my life and have never tried one. So I'm going to get an outfit for my beach fishing (and do more beach fishing!). I'm looking forward to learning something new.

I found this article to be very useful for me as a beginner: Using Alvey reels, Surf Casting and Angling Club of Western Australia (Inc.) (scac.net.au)

• Like 2

@Tommy TJLittle Flatty is right, rock and beach fishing is where Alveys are most popular, though many use them in estuaries as well, especially up in Queensland where they have a cult following. 

No matter what sort of bait fishing you do there's an Alvey to suit, so if you give us an idea of what species you chase to most and where ie: rocks beach or river, we can possibly steer you straight on what you should be looking for.

There's no real rush to go out and buy one soon as there always plenty of good, second hand reels for sale, though I feel with the news of Alvey shutting its doors, used reel prices may rise significantly.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, big Neil said:

A very sad situation indeed, and one that may not be an isolated case in the near future. Covid has rocked the business world severely and while we may appear to be "on the road to recovery", other parts of the world are definitely not. Our reliance on other countries supplying us with goods and raw materials are being seriously disrupted.

Labor has a desire to reinstate Aussie manufacturing, an ideal that many of us may support... but it may be more difficult than anticipated, given the current world situation.

DISCLAIMER: this post is not politically motivated, it is merely an observation of the author.

bn

Yep agree, no political party could bring back car manufacturing, White goods manufacturing, TV manufacturing, or Alvey reels, it's just never going to happen. That door is shut, locked and bolted long ago.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, noelm said:

Yep agree, no political party could bring back car manufacturing, White goods manufacturing, TV manufacturing, or Alvey reels, it's just never going to happen. That door is shut, locked and bolted long ago.

I have to agree as well. They tried to reinvent themselves after they were initially planning to close in 2019, but just couldn't make it happen.

Let's face it, a major part of their problem was their reels were indestructable and many fishermen are still using the ones their grandfather originally purchased and handed down through the generations.

• Like 7

OK, after the last time they announced they were closing, I said I'd get myself an Alvey. That never happened, but this time around I'm gonna pull my finger out. I've never used an Alvey before but love the idea of an indestructible, Aussie made reel for the beach. Don't do much beach fishing either, but it's something I'll eventually get around to (and expect the Alvey to last me a lifetime 😉)

I've had a look at their website but am overwhelmed by the number of options (even after using the reel finder tool on their website).

Can any of you wise ol' fishraiders please recommend which reel would be best suited a 13ft graphite beach rod for bread'n'butter species beach fishing (tailor, salmon and hopefully a jewie every now and then if I wish hard enough). I'd be looking at their entry level price range. From what I can determine, the Surf 60GT would be what I'm looking at - am i on the right track here or are there any other suggestions?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, seasponge said:

OK, after the last time they announced they were closing, I said I'd get myself an Alvey. That never happened, but this time around I'm gonna pull my finger out. I've never used an Alvey before but love the idea of an indestructible, Aussie made reel for the beach. Don't do much beach fishing either, but it's something I'll eventually get around to (and expect the Alvey to last me a lifetime 😉)

I've had a look at their website but am overwhelmed by the number of options (even after using the reel finder tool on their website).

Can any of you wise ol' fishraiders please recommend which reel would be best suited a 13ft graphite beach rod for bread'n'butter species beach fishing (tailor, salmon and hopefully a jewie every now and then if I wish hard enough). I'd be looking at their entry level price range. From what I can determine, the Surf 60GT would be what I'm looking at - am i on the right track here or are there any other suggestions?

Hi Seasponge go for a 650 size reel as it will balance better on a rod that length. 650GT would be ideal for your purpose, the 600 size reels are considerably smaller in line capacity and more suited to rods up to 11ft and lines up to about 15lb. Of the old series a 650A5 are the most commonly used beach reels. 650 signifies 6+1/2 inch 600 = 6 inch diameters. The 600 and 625 sizes are the popular Bream, Whiting, Dart sized reels.

I have an extensive collection of Alveys and like all are saying, am devastated they are closing down, however, there are so many reels out there they'll still be in use for another 50 years and perhaps someone else might take over one of the most iconic reels ever made in Australia

• Like 4

Alvey reels take a bit of effort for first time users, but once you get the hang of them, they are great, especially for just casual beach or rock fishing, no worries with water or sand, or a bang on a rock, just a quick hose when you get home, job done. Back in the heady land based gamefishing days at Jervis Bay, my mate landed a 65KG Yellowfin off the rocks, with a no drag Alvey, a long beach rod and 25LB mono, at times that spool was just a blur, as he "palmed" it to slow the fish down.

Edited by noelm
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Rebel said:

The second hand prices of Alvey gear have already doubled in some cases.

Cheers.

I thought this would happen which is good news for me as I have plenty of collectibles, though not interested in selling at present.

• Like 2

On 5/24/2022 at 2:18 PM, big Neil said:

bn

There's no chance off manufacturing coming back to oz EVER AGAIN mate.Big business want maximum profits and they are overseas not here where we demand high wages etc.

On 5/24/2022 at 5:45 PM, Hill373737 said:

This is definitely a sad day as I suspect many Raiders who would fit into the "older generation" grew up with Alvey reels and bait pumps. Its been discussed before on Fishraider but one of their challenges has been the near indesctructible nature of their reels. Here's a photo of my Alvey shrine (plus a few other old bits and pieces), all of these reels would be 45 plus years old and still in usable condition. It doesn't include my new reels (25 years old) that I use for beach fishing.

Its a terrible loss to the Australian fishing industry!

If you're a business you want to sell crap that doesn't last long.

Sadly alvey loaded their own gun and shoot themselves by selling quality gear that lasts a lifetime.That and people simply prefer spinning reels over Alveys.

IMG_4310.jpeg

On 5/25/2022 at 1:36 PM, noelm said:

Couldn't agree more.Greed will make certain that never happens ever again mate.