seized line roller,

leonardgid

my old  shimano  (no line roller bearing)   has a seized  line roller, is there anything that i can soak the bail arm into that may loosen corrosion etc   , i know its just a cheap reel but i have had it for a long time and  i like to keep it as a spare for   when i lend  people  fishing gear , image.jpeg.767d013403cb6eec3bde9a53d510e15b.jpegthank you for your reply 

WD40 would be my first choice but if it has a lot of salt build up maybe scrub it with warm water and a toothbrush first , let it dry then hit it with WD40 . If you wrap the line around the roller a few times you can use a sawing motion to try and get the roller turning again , you will probably have to try and remove the screw holding the bail arm onto the bail and remove the roller to clean and oil it properly .

• Like 1

Soak it in WD40 type stuff, very carefully remove the screw, being careful not to break it or bugger the slot up. If you can get the screw out, it will be easy to spray more stuff on it and poke the bush out.

Keep persisting. Maybe take it off & soak it. Bush only in that - No bearing so keepworking at it. When you get it apart give it a big clean & oil it. I open up & oil all the rollers on my reels regulalry especially as I use mostly braid.

They are still a top little reel.

4 hours ago, XD351 said:

WD40 would be my first choice but if it has a lot of salt build up maybe scrub it with warm water and a toothbrush first , let it dry then hit it with WD40 . If you wrap the line around the roller a few times you can use a sawing motion to try and get the roller turning again , you will probably have to try and remove the screw holding the bail arm onto the bail and remove the roller to clean and oil it properly .

thank you

3 hours ago, Hoods said:

Keep persisting. Maybe take it off & soak it. Bush only in that - No bearing so keepworking at it. When you get it apart give it a big clean & oil it. I open up & oil all the rollers on my reels regulalry especially as I use mostly braid.

thank you

15 hours ago, leonardgid said:

all screws come off easy because i always  lube , its the bail arm  with the roller attached to it that has seized and it  feels like its glued  together  

Never seen a bail arm glued on before.

9 hours ago, noelm said:

Never seen a bail arm glued on before.

no its not , it just feels this way , i soaked it in vinegar  and that did clean some of the stuff of it  , i ended up  wrapping  the roller in chux   cloth  and used  long nose pliers  to loosen it ..it worked ,  there is no  bush  just a roller straight on  a shaft  if that makes sense , looks like i have to clean it every time i use it , thanks for all your advice , 

On 5/23/2022 at 6:25 PM, Hoods said:

no bush between the (shaft )and the actual roller , need to clean and lube this reel after every time i use it by the look of it , thank you for the advice 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, slowjigger said:

Penetrating spay works better than WD40 (though WD40 does make one).

thanks

On 5/23/2022 at 5:22 PM, XD351 said:

thank you  

On 5/25/2022 at 11:16 AM, dmck said:

Soak it in white vinegar.. it is very similar to CLR

I have brought ABU's "back from the dead" using it.

i learned a hard lesson  using vinegar , i soaked more then  steel and aluminium ,it was  (gears ),     i will never do that again, they break down  from the acid  

• Sad 1