New Rock Fishing Gear.

There is a Bill before the NSW Parliament the moment about rock fishing gear.

The Fisher's party is trying to make rock fishing people wear wetsuits and proper rock fishing shoes.

Watch this space.

• Like 1

After reading the bill it would appear to me that they are offering a choice between a life jacket or wetsuit , we Currently have no choice and must wear a life jacket .

With the continuing death toll on the rocks it would appear that the legislation isn’t working or isn’t being policed and making people wear cleats won’t work either because there are certain situations where cleats are dangerous . 
I would prefer to see some of the rec  fishing fee go into educating people on rock fishing safety , one thing many have in common is religion and maybe this could be an avenue to get the info out to those who want to fish off the stones . I don’t think that contacting the various Churches, Temples , Mosques , Synagogues etc would cost much and I’m certain they would be happy to help .

Bn,                                                                                       The government will never ban anything they get revenue from , more likely to put more regulations into place so they can fine you for more things 🤣

Edited by XD351
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rebel said:

There are a lot of people who go rock fishing you cannot educate.

Cheers.

This is the issue, rock fishing safety is a "bug" of mine, millions of people fish off the rocks, most never get into difficulty, but for some, it won't matter how many signs you put up, how many education classes you run, how many rules you make, a small percentage will never listen/learn. Certain locations are unique, no special shoes or gear will stop people being washed in, neither will a fence or sign stop them.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, noelm said:

This is the issue, rock fishing safety is a "bug" of mine, millions of people fish off the rocks, most never get into difficulty, but for some, it won't matter how many signs you put up, how many education classes you run, how many rules you make, a small percentage will never listen/learn. Certain locations are unique, no special shoes or gear will stop people being washed in, neither will a fence or sign stop them.

I liken rock fishing to driving on the highways. Accidents are always going to happen . We are well regulated to drive on the roads yet accidents (and death) still occur. The problem is, and always will be, the people who step outside of the regulations. The reasons why are many...poor judgement, disregard, attitude, lack of focus, and those who know better. These are but a few reasons why the problem will never be eliminated. Just like noelm said.

bn

• Like 3