Port Hacking again

Yowie

Headed out early this morning up past Lilli Pilli, to the same spot I fished 2 weeks ago where I pulled out a big catch (I said it was an unusally large catch for this time of year). A big difference today, not a lot about, no tailor either, more like the winter fishing with the clearer water.

In saying that, I only had the smaller bream and trevally in the box, then a small hit on a pillie until I hooked up, and it was the jewie. It took plenty of line out one side of the boat, then out to the front and eventually around the other side, and back again before eventually swimming into the net. A good fight on 12 pound mono, the jewie weighing just under 14 pound. No kick from the jewie once in the boat, it was just laying still and out of breath. The reddie was the only keeper after that.

Don't always keep jewies, but it was a quiet day so it came home and will feed all the family.

The larger bream took a bait off my mother's wharf.

fish.jpeg.355_files_files.jpg

• Like 17

Nice mixed bag again 👍 & the jewies sure give up a great fight at that size on the lighter gear, of a couple I’ve caught around that size on silly string one managed a half hearted tail lift & the others were well & truly spent, out of curiosity Dave are you using floater rigs or sinker & trace

Edited by 61 crusher

2 hours ago, Welster said:

Well done again Yowie.  Your consistency is very impressive.

Thank you. The cold weather feels colder as I get older, however, one cannot catch any fish lying in a warm bed. 🥶

1 hour ago, Rebel said:

Great haul.

Nice jewie.

Well done.

Thank you, happy with the result.

1 hour ago, Blackfish said:

Cracking catch Yowie and congratulations on the Jewie.

Thank you, until I caught the jewie, it was looking a bit bare in the fish box.

1 hour ago, bessell1955 said:

A great variety of fish!

Thank you.

32 minutes ago, 61 crusher said:

Nice mixed bag again 👍 & the jewies sure give up a great fight at that size on the lighter gear, of a couple I’ve caught around that size on silly string one managed a half hearted tail lift & the others were well & truly spent, out of curiosity Dave are you using floater rigs or sinker & trace

Unweighted baits. The pillies are smaller ones that fit onto 3 x 2/0 ganged hooks. I use the smaller 2/0 size for up river, and that size will catch just about anything that eats pillies. About 50cm of 20 pound toughened mono as a trace, swivel, then tied to mainline.

I have caught jewies around that size on 12 and 15 pound mono handlines. That can result in burnt fingers from the strong runs they make.

• Like 1

Well done Dave ... a very nice mixed bag there with the jewie as a trophy.  When you say the jewie didn't kick when in the boat ... was it frozen? ... like the ones from the shop? .... ooops 🤦‍♂️

Cheers Zoran

1 minute ago, zmk1962 said:

Well done Dave ... a very nice mixed bag there with the jewie as a trophy.  When you say the jewie didn't kick when in the boat ... was it frozen? ... like the ones from the shop? .... ooops 🤦‍♂️

Cheers Zoran

Thanks Zoran. Not frozen at all. 🤣 Have had jewies on light line fight until there is no energy left, even had a couple die during a lengthy fight.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, big Neil said:

A very pleasant surprise there Yowie. Good thing about saltwater fishing, you don't always know what's going to take the bait. Cheers, bn

Thank you BN. Anything can turn up, which suits me.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Restyle said:

Great jewie for the hacking, not as common that size compared to the George’s and Hawkesbury, surprised you didn’t catch it on a hand line.

perfect eating size at that 80-90cm 

The jewie could have taken a handline, there was a squid bait on a handline not far from the pillie. 

Plenty of cutlets after I carved up the fillets.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Larkin said:

Nice catch 👍 

the winter weather is definitely making it a little harder to fish. I was out this morning too - noticed they weren’t on the bite.

what time you catch the Jew?

Around this time of year, no rain, not much colour in the water, water temp dropping so the fish can be a bit quiet.

The jewie grabbed the bait just before sun-up.

23 hours ago, Restyle said:

Great jewie for the hacking, not as common that size compared to the George’s and Hawkesbury, surprised you didn’t catch it on a hand line.

perfect eating size at that 80-90cm 

Legend has it Yowies been known to hang over the side of the boat arse up in the air at the crack of dawn then suddenly come up with a Jew between his teeth, a whiting latched on to his left ear,a tailor swinging from his right and a shirt pocket full of blue swimmer crabs.

No one’s seen his face.He’s like the Wilson of Tool time then disappears into the mist as quickly as he’s appeared.

He’s been know to leave warm beds at the earliest hours of the coldest mornings too.

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

Legend has it Yowies been known to hang over the side of the boat arse up in the air at the crack of dawn then suddenly come up with a Jew between his teeth, a whiting latched on to his left ear,a tailor swinging from his right and a shirt pocket full of blue swimmer crabs.

No one’s seen his face.He’s like the Wilson of Tool time then disappears into the mist as quickly as he’s appeared.

He’s been know to leave warm beds at the earliest hours of the coldest mornings too.

That is pure class!!! I love it.

1 hour ago, Fab1 said:

one cannot catch any fish lying in a warm bed. Agreed! Bed sure beats freezing to death though.Good haul mate.

Thank you. Just need big coconuts to brave the cold. :074:

1 hour ago, Fab1 said:

Some Fishraiders have seen my face, and like the rest of me, it is on the wrong side of 60. :074:

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Fab1 said:

According to the legend it’s possible he might walk bow legged because of the size of his coconuts 😆

Edited by 61 crusher