Port Hacking Today

Isaac Ct

Gday Raiders,

Headed out with a mate and his dad today at the leisurely hour of 7am. Headed to Lilli Pilli and was met by a plague of pinkies. Pulled out probably 2 dozen of them on prawns, pillies got eaten as well. One of them coughed up some squid so I used that and caught 7 fish on the same bait. After a while we headed onto the flats and had a whiting and a leather jacket follow the baits to the boat then get spooked, nothing else. Then headed to the drop-off on the southern side of lilli pilli and caught the gurnard and kept it as we were looking for some dinner. Again, more pinkies. Then pulled anchor and drifted around Costens Point for the Tailor and, you guessed it, more pinkies. I got bitten of just moments earlier to the tailor so I guess we drifted over the school again. Headed in after that. I am looking to get out early on Thursday for a fish, hopefully can get something better than.

IMG_1128.thumb.JPG.8d71c2398bb001c767ac439c264ce3a8.JPG

Edited by Isaac Ct
  • Like 8

36 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

At least you got out, had a go and were rewarded with a couple of fish Isaac.

How do gurnards go on the plate? I’ve caught plenty over the years but always thrown them back.

Thanks mate, I gave the Gurnard to my mate but only kept it because I have seen other raiders keep them and have heard they are quite good eating. I will have to eat one one day, but they are quite difficult to fillet and the meat to fish ratio isn't amazing.

1 minute ago, Bluebenbomb said:

Good catch mate, well done. Headed out today for a session that I basically doughnutted (don't think this winter is that productive), but I think spending time outdoors always beats staring at a screen.

Cheers mate, definitely prefer to be on the water than indoors. Beats anything just to relax on the water.

• Like 1

Something better than nothing.

Fillet the gurnard, then remove the skin, easy to do as it is tough. There are a line of fine bones along the side near the head, feel with your fingers to see where they are then carefully remove them. Just takes a little bit of practice, the rib bones in a gurnard are different from  most other fish in their location.

14 hours ago, masterfisho7 said:

Nice report and nice photo

Thanks mate.

13 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Nice catch Isaac.

Is that your lure in the photo? If so, you should use it sometime. My favourite kind of SP.

No it is not. What kind of SP is it?

13 hours ago, Yowie said:

Something better than nothing.

Fillet the gurnard, then remove the skin, easy to do as it is tough. There are a line of fine bones along the side near the head, feel with your fingers to see where they are then carefully remove them. Just takes a little bit of practice, the rib bones in a gurnard are different from  most other fish in their location.

Cheers Yowie, I was a but confused when I was trying to debone it.

12 hours ago, Pickles said:

Nice work Isaac, Gurnard are good eating.

Thanks mate, that's the only reason we kept it.

11 hours ago, Larkin said:

Good on you for getting out there and picking up a couple. Winter is always tougher going in the hacking. 

Cheers mate, hopefully I can get a couple more fish on board soon.

47 minutes ago, Isaac Ct said:

No it is not. What kind of SP is it?

It’s a 3inch flickbait. Most famous is probably the Berkeley Power (or Bass) minnow, but many brands make them. They imitate wounded fish and prawns really well. Rigged on a jighead, and worked with little double hops over the bottom, it will catch almost anything that swims. Work the lure through clear water to get the action right, then go fishing.

28 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

It’s a 3inch flickbait. Most famous is probably the Berkeley Power (or Bass) minnow, but many brands make them. They imitate wounded fish and prawns really well. Rigged on a jighead, and worked with little double hops over the bottom, it will catch almost anything that swims. Work the lure through clear water to get the action right, then go fishing.

Cheers mate, I did happen to pick it up so might give it a flick.

• Like 1