Fly fishing tippet spool tenders (more than just for fly fishing!)

Little_Flatty

Hi all,

The past year I've been using fly fishing tippet spool tenders to manage my leader spools, and they have been a real boon to my fishing existence. You know those times when you rummage through your tackle bag to find that you have 100m of 4lb flurocarbon right through your bag? A tippet spool tender will stop this forever! They are common amongst fly fishos but not so common amongst other anglers.

image.png.7d6240378e3d8a99d9ee883dfddfeecd.png

Basically they are a piece of elastic that goes around your leader spool, with a piece of tubing for the end of your leader material to go through. The elastic keeps the leader tensioned, whilst the tubing keeps the end of the leader material accessible. Getting out a bit more leader is a simple matter of pulling out a little more line through the tubing (the elastic/tubing will spin around as the line unwinds from the spool) and cutting it off. Then the spool of leader can then be put back into your bag without fear of it unravelling in your bag.

I discovered them accidentally when an Ebay seller threw a couple in with my magnet order when I was setting up my landing net. After trying a few, I promptly bought more for myself and my dad.

You can buy them very cheaply online, but they are dead easy to make as well:

The ones in my earlier picture were my first home made versions. Slowly getting better at making them. I make mine a bit sturdier than the fly fishing versions, because the spools are bigger. I'm also thinking of making these for handlines and the two Alveys we have.

Thought I'd share these because I thought it is quite a brilliant idea that should be much more commonly used.

Mike

Edited by Little_Flatty
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

That's a cool way of making them, I might do some.

What I do is get a length of pvc tube the appropriate size of the leader spool and cut pieces the equal width of inside of spool, I then cut a small section away from the pvc so that it becomes a expandable ( similar to a bangle ) which will spread out to allow placing over the lip of the outer spool and there is enough spring in the pvc to allow it to fold back against the leader keeping it firm and free from tangles.

I have been using this method for approx 30 years and find it works well.

As you pull the length of leader out the pvc will rotate so the line always comes away from the split in the pvc.

Sorry can't get photos to load onto computer for more explanation.

Frank

• Like 5

3 hours ago, XD351 said:

Awesome! 
I could also use something similar on my Alveys.

I have seen guys make these for their Alveys using elastic around 50mm wide. Others have cut a strip from an old wetsuit sleeve or leg, depending on the size of the reel.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, frankS said:

That's a cool way of making them, I might do some.

What I do is get a length of pvc tube the appropriate size of the leader spool and cut pieces the equal width of inside of spool, I then cut a small section away from the pvc so that it becomes a expandable ( similar to a bangle ) which will spread out to allow placing over the lip of the outer spool and there is enough spring in the pvc to allow it to fold back against the leader keeping it firm and free from tangles.

I have been using this method for approx 30 years and find it works well.

As you pull the length of leader out the pvc will rotate so the line always comes away from the split in the pvc.

Sorry can't get photos to load onto computer for more explanation.

Frank

I remember as a kid, some small spools of line came with a clear, plastic clip just like you mention. They had a V shaped cutout either end to stop the line slipping off the clip when unrolling.

31 minutes ago, 61 crusher said:

Great idea & thanks for posting, looking at it I was thinking to simplify & keeping it more streamlined one could glue or stitch the two ends together &/or punch an eyelet through the join

If you’re making your own, use a hot nail to form the hole for the line.

Not only will it stop the elastic from fraying, it leaves a rounded, smooth surface to protect your leader

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

I have seen guys make these for their Alveys using elastic around 50mm wide. Others have cut a strip from an old wetsuit sleeve or leg, depending on the size of the reel.

I like the idea of the wider band. Would have the benefit of affording some uv protection for your line when you are in transit.

19 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

Great idea & thanks for posting, looking at it I was thinking to simplify & keeping it more streamlined one could glue or stitch the two ends together &/or punch an eyelet through the join

The Daiwa J-Thread flurocarbon comes with something like this. I don't actually mind the line sticking out. Makes it easier for this bumbling fool (me) to find in the dark🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Little_Flatty said:

I like the idea of the wider band. Would have the benefit of affording some uv protection for your line when you are in transit.

The guys that 4WD on the beaches with their rods mounted on the bull bar make extra wide ones that cover the full width of the reel. This also stops the possibility of sand finding it’s way in between the spool and backplate.

I’ve actually got a few smaller ones for spin reels where the line retaining clip has broken.

• Like 1

Some lines come with them. For example Varivas Ocean record Shock leader. However, their spools are thicker than a few others. You can just fit the spool band on a fisherman superstealth spool, although its very snug. The main advantage of this type is that it is Velcro, so you can tighten as the spool shrinks from usage. You could also just use your own velcro and insert a hole in the middle.

Those elastic versions I've used in the past tend to stretch over time and loses its ability to hold you line on spool nicely.

Example of varivas band

image.png.eb7c0386108fb89bbaeda38446a3a61e.png

Edited by Rob81
Added image for reference
  • Like 1