spinfisher v liveliner drag not adjustable

5 hours ago, slothparade said:

I just got my spinfisher v but the secondary drag isn't working properly. For some reason no matter how far left of right you turn it, it makes no difference to the secondary drag. Any ideas on how to fix this?

I assume by “secondary drag”, you mean you have the Liveliner version, which works like a Baitrunner (Shimano). If so, it’s not really a drag as such but a spool tension control for when you have it in Liveliner mode… effectively like free spool. Basically you set it with enough tension to hold your bait where you want it but so a fish can swim off with the bait and not feel undue pressure. To strike you’d flick it out of Liveliner mode by flicking the lever or winding the handle… then the regular “main drag” would kick in. If you’re trying it this way and it’s not applying enough tension to, say, hold your bait in the current, return it to your tackle store and get them to look at it. They’re a sealed system, so I wouldn’t be pulling it apart… you could void warranty as CampR indicated.

14 hours ago, campr said:

If you just bought it and it doesn't work,  it's a no brainer to take it back and they should replace it.  Don't play with it in case you void any warranty.  Ron 

bought second hand for pretty cheap. Do have 5 day warrenty though. 

9 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

I assume by “secondary drag”, you mean you have the Liveliner version, which works like a Baitrunner (Shimano). If so, it’s not really a drag as such but a spool tension control for when you have it in Liveliner mode… effectively like free spool. Basically you set it with enough tension to hold your bait where you want it but so a fish can swim off with the bait and not feel undue pressure. To strike you’d flick it out of Liveliner mode by flicking the lever or winding the handle… then the regular “main drag” would kick in. If you’re trying it this way and it’s not applying enough tension to, say, hold your bait in the current, return it to your tackle store and get them to look at it. They’re a sealed system, so I wouldn’t be pulling it apart… you could void warranty as CampR indicated.

Yeah, the secondary drag isn't able to be adjusted. I can turn the knob and nothing happens. Its so loose its not funny, may as well be free spool, basically defeated the purpose. Its already in peices, Ive completely stripped it apart. Its second hand, with 5 day warrenty. I found a brake in the plastic but ive fixed that and it wasn't that important. Im thinking something isn't engaging properly. 

I noticed there are 2 sets of drag washers, one on the top of the spool and one on the bottom, which one controls the baitrunner? Im guessing its the bottom? Or is it like the slammer, I think it has 2 drags as wel, but I cant rember and don't want to pop it open again. 

I have completely stripped the reel down to bare bits and am in the middle of regreasing and putting it back together, so im stumped wht the problem could be. 

If you look at the exploded view below parts 83 thu 88 are the drag components for the liveliner drag. Part 72 is the lock pawl which when engaged  a peg on the bottom of part 72 locks into a slot on part83 to lock it so it can’t rotate , when you activate the liveliner function the peg is moved so it can’t lock into the slots on 83 and the entire centre shaft can rotate .If you can confirm that the centre shaft is definitely locking when the liveliner function has tripped out into normal operation then the issue could be a stripped thread in the rear drag or maybe the reel has been apart before and something is missing . If the shaft is still turning maybe the pawl is damaged ?

The drag washers on either side of the spool are your main drag and have nothing to do with the liveliner drag on the rear .
D82ADCBB-E1E8-46E2-B6CA-5ED9527A5038.thumb.jpeg.235bfa75e46094b37f70babcc3e69e0b.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, XD351 said:

If you look at the exploded view below parts 83 thu 88 are the drag components for the liveliner drag. Part 72 is the lock pawl which when engaged  a peg on the bottom of part 72 locks into a slot on part83 to lock it so it can’t rotate , when you activate the liveliner function the peg is moved so it can’t lock into the slots on 83 and the entire centre shaft can rotate .If you can confirm that the centre shaft is definitely locking when the liveliner function has tripped out into normal operation then the issue could be a stripped thread in the rear drag or maybe the reel has been apart before and something is missing . If the shaft is still turning maybe the pawl is damaged ?

The drag washers on either side of the spool are your main drag and have nothing to do with the liveliner drag on the rear .
D82ADCBB-E1E8-46E2-B6CA-5ED9527A5038.thumb.jpeg.235bfa75e46094b37f70babcc3e69e0b.jpeg

Thanks for the help. I turned on the liveliner and turned the shaft and yes it turns 

16564949772328196380815739743458.jpg

4 hours ago, XD351 said:

You wil have to remove the side cover and see if anything is broken ,missing or installed incorrectly 

Already done. I've pulled 100% of the reel apart and ever little peice has been degreased, regressed, inspected and then replaced according to the manual. I tried to get a vid of the shaft turning even with the bait runner on but to big to upload. Downside of such a good camera I guess lol.  

PXL_20220629_093054057.jpg

PXL_20220629_093104353.jpg

Just now, slothparade said:

Already done. I've pulled 100% of the reel apart and ever little peice has been degreased, regressed, inspected and then replaced according to the manual. I tried to get a vid of the shaft turning even with the bait runner on but to big to upload. Downside of such a good camera I guess lol.  

PXL_20220629_093054057.jpg

PXL_20220629_093104353.jpg

I've been putting it back together as can be seen but I've pulled it apart again to re inspect the baitrunner system. In taking it down to a professional sometime to have a peak because I'm stumped 

This plate slides out and the whole rear drag unit should pop out , inside there are a couple of drag washers and a spring . One of the washers will have a slotted hole in the centre that matches the flats on the shaft . So can you disengage the bait runner system so the shaft locks solid ? In the photo next to the arrow (left side) is locking hub and something needs to engage the slot in the front of it to lock the shaft - normal fishing mode . When you use the bait runner lever it unlocks this and the drag washers in the knob create the drag ( very light drag ) on the shaft as one washer is keyed to the shaft via the slot in the centre of the washer and the other washer is locked to the housing of the reel usually with a tongue and groove design . The principal is basically the same as what is in the main drag in the spool only much smaller .D1AB9756-7FCA-4D85-8205-4C21F6BC4A70.thumb.jpeg.64709e8f0762c2e7cc6c861c58aa87b6.jpeg

• Like 1

On 6/30/2022 at 9:16 AM, XD351 said:

This plate slides out and the whole rear drag unit should pop out , inside there are a couple of drag washers and a spring . One of the washers will have a slotted hole in the centre that matches the flats on the shaft . So can you disengage the bait runner system so the shaft locks solid ? In the photo next to the arrow (left side) is locking hub and something needs to engage the slot in the front of it to lock the shaft - normal fishing mode . When you use the bait runner lever it unlocks this and the drag washers in the knob create the drag ( very light drag ) on the shaft as one washer is keyed to the shaft via the slot in the centre of the washer and the other washer is locked to the housing of the reel usually with a tongue and groove design . The principal is basically the same as what is in the main drag in the spool only much smaller .D1AB9756-7FCA-4D85-8205-4C21F6BC4A70.thumb.jpeg.64709e8f0762c2e7cc6c861c58aa87b6.jpeg

Thanks so much for the help truly appreciate it. What parts do you think I'll need to replace to get it working? 

You need to strip it down and compare what you have to what is in the exploded view or parts list for the model you have . Pay attention to parts 74 thru to 77 on the diagram above - this appears to be the locking mechanism for the liveliner. If parts are missing I doubt you will be able to get them  and if you can it may make repairs uneconomical. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, XD351 said:

You need to strip it down and compare what you have to what is in the exploded view or parts list for the model you have . Pay attention to parts 74 thru to 77 on the diagram above - this appears to be the locking mechanism for the liveliner. If parts are missing I doubt you will be able to get them  and if you can it may make repairs uneconomical. 

Thanks, there's a shop that supply's the parts in Australia, their prices are reasonable and I've contacted the seller, he's agreed to cover the fee for parts. Thanks again 

Probably worth getting them to look at it , if the seller will cover parts cost you can then give them the quote from the shop  - downside  is it will cost you labour .

On 7/2/2022 at 3:10 PM, XD351 said:

Yeah. Parts 74 to 77 are all there, maybe is it worth replacing the whole secondary drag assembly? 

On 7/2/2022 at 4:49 PM, XD351 said:

Probably worth getting them to look at it , if the seller will cover parts cost you can then give them the quote from the shop  - downside  is it will cost you labour .

Yeah. Will probably get them to leave out the re grease ect