Port Hacking Arrow Squid

Larkin

Just a small report from me today.

plan was to catch some squid while waiting for the wind to drop & then head out to bate bay for a fish.

Wind was forecast to drop, instead it picked up so went home.

managed to catch 3 arrow squid while waiting. I rarely get these in the Hacking. Largest was a 30cm hood. Anyway bait is sorted for my next trip out - maybe on the weekend.

62069A2E-9167-4F2E-A330-21DC1928FF96.jpeg.f140eb281fedf777bb6748c3b486dc4a.jpeg

C3560ABD-3DA8-4E79-B817-9BFB7BC6B0C7.jpeg.c2e14482bea8789cd81edfe56034d929.jpeg

• Like 12

2 hours ago, fragmeister said:

They look like you could stick them to the wall in the lounge room like the old fashioned plaster flying ducks!

Good job picking up some fresh bait though... it makes all the difference.

Cheers

Jim

Haha, I see what you mean with the bottom photo.  
Wife complains when I lay my catches on the kitchen bench top - hate to think what she’d say if I tried to create some sort of squid wall art 😂.

2 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

That's a big arrow mate, well done

I hope to see those put to good use.

The largest one was a good little fight - these arrows tend to pull a bit harder than the calamari - but once they’re on the surface that’s it.

2 hours ago, Bluebenbomb said:

Awesome job on the squid!
Just curious, is calamari or squid better for kingfish/jewy bait?

Both of them make great bait - the most important is the freshness. I put them straight on ice when caught and as soon as I get home I’ll vac seal them whole (individually) and freeze. Can’t buy fresh or frozen squid anywhere as good as ones you catch and do yourself. When defrosted, they look like they just came out of the water.

2 hours ago, masterfisho7 said:

Bait of for eating some top squid well done 

thanks masterfisho. 
I know some people will only eat the southern calamari. I’ve eaten both and really can’t tell the difference. Although I do tenderise them all the same way.

1 hour ago, Fab1 said:

Great capture.I’d convert those into 5cm bream and huge 15cm snappper in the hacking easy.Don’t get jealous now.😂

haha, Hacking’s waiting for you Fab!

Bet you’d out fish us all …gotta watch out for the modest ones.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Larkin said:

Haha, I see what you mean with the bottom photo.  
Wife complains when I lay my catches on the kitchen bench top - hate to think what she’d say if I tried to create some sort of squid wall art 😂.

The largest one was a good little fight - these arrows tend to pull a bit harder than the calamari - but once they’re on the surface that’s it.

Both of them make great bait - the most important is the freshness. I put them straight on ice when caught and as soon as I get home I’ll vac seal them whole (individually) and freeze. Can’t buy fresh or frozen squid anywhere as good as ones you catch and do yourself. When defrosted, they look like they just came out of the water.

thanks masterfisho. 
I know some people will only eat the southern calamari. I’ve eaten both and really can’t tell the difference. Although I do tenderise them all the same way.

haha, Hacking’s waiting for you Fab!

Bet you’d out fish us all …gotta watch out for the modest ones.

I bet I’ll catch the smallest ones out of the lot of us.Anything over 15cm will wear me out.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Squidless said:

Nice looking squid and a big one thrown in.

Thanks squidless, I don’t really get many arrows, so was a nice change.

6 hours ago, Yowie said:

A nice bonus for not going where you wanted to go.

The wind forecasts are not always too accurate. :1taz:

it could have gone either way as earlier it was below predictions - when I saw the live wind off Kurnell heading up over 25k/h at 9am, wasn’t keen for a spray bath 😂

2 hours ago, Rebel said:

Top haul.

Well done.

Thanx Rebel - happy to get something while waiting for the wind to drop. 

• Like 1

On 7/28/2022 at 8:01 PM, fragmeister said:

They look like you could stick them to the wall in the lounge room like the old fashioned plaster flying ducks!

Good job picking up some fresh bait though... it makes all the difference.

Cheers

Jim

Couldn’t have said it better🤪 That should get you a few reds Larkin!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onearmedfisho said:

i think you will find they are Loligo squid not arrows although similar

Thanks mate, now you’ve got me interested in doing some research into the local species.

Would you know if these are the same as what people catch off the piers in Sydney harbour?

On 8/3/2022 at 3:35 PM, Larkin said:

Thanks mate, now you’ve got me interested in doing some research into the local species.

Would you know if these are the same as what people catch off the piers in Sydney harbour?

they do get the off the piers but they also get the proper arrows mate which arent Loligo squid