Brisbane Waters Woy Woy Bay

Amb232

Hey everyone. I’m looking to fish land based at a private jetty in September. I have been successful in catching legal bream plus a few undersized snappers. However I’m really hoping for a Jew fish. Has anyone caught any here? If so, what are your tips for bait etc

Hi,

Seems to me that your trip up will be to stay at a place with jetty. I used to have a boat but got rid of it as it was too much trouble launching, cleaning, storing it etc when I could get as many fish as I wanted land based here on Tuggerah Lakes. I’m close by (a few minutes) and so it’s easy for me to dart down and have a quick fish and if no good head back home to try later.

So how to catch good fish land based. In the situation you are looking at I reckon you could not do better than using some form of live bait…poddies, nippers, bloodworms etc. I suggest live poddies as your best option.

Good luck and let us know how you go!

KB

• Like 1

I can’t speak for Woy Woy Bay exactly but people I know catch some good mulloway off a wharf in Brisbane Water nearby. I’d sum up their approach as use live bait, use a free swinging line as the mulloway drop very quickly if they feel something amiss, fish at night, expect the best results from one hour before to one hour after high tide. Judging by their experience the main thing is putting in the hours. They often do all-nighters - barbecue, sausages, beer, comfortable chairs and then sit back and calmly wait through a 2 or 3 am high tide.

I’ve fished with them a few times but I don’t do the hours and so don’t get the result.

Alternately, you could hire a boat from Andersons Boatshed in Blackwall and fish. Not expensive especially for the open 16 footers which are old and slow but comfortable. They may let you keep one overnight. Alternately, they will get one ready for you the night before so you can pickup in the very early morning just before daybreak. I’ve done that two or three times and twice got mulloway downstream of the Rip Bridge.

Edited by Volitan
  • Like 1

On 8/1/2022 at 9:04 PM, Amb232 said:

Hey everyone. I’m looking to fish land based at a private jetty in September. I have been successful in catching legal bream plus a few undersized snappers. However I’m really hoping for a Jew fish. Has anyone caught any here? If so, what are your tips for bait etc

I don't know much about jewfish so take this likely but If it was me I would try to get some live poddy or yakkas and chuck them out at night.

• Like 1