Fly fishing starter outfit

Little_Flatty

Hi Raiders,

I'm not yet sure if this is a brain fart or a real idea, but I'm considering getting an entry level fly fishing outfit.

Those here who know me well know the kind of lure fishing I do, but for those who don't, I mostly target bream and flathead in the shallows, mostly during summer. Also add whiting to the list. What weight outfit would I need to target these species? I'm assuming the flies I'd be casting will range from things like crazy charlies up to a 3 inch clouser or thereabouts. It seems like the choice for most beginner outfits is between a six and eight weight.

The other dumb question I have is that there are some locations that I fish that don't lend themselves to false casting. Is it feasible to get very good at roll casts and do them in those areas?

I have owned a fly outfit before but it was well before I developed my skills at catching fish on lures. Alas, all the fly casting skills (taught by the owner of my then local tackle shop) have long since disappeared.

Any advice that can be offered would be most appreciated.

Mike

I use a 4 weight fly rod. Its an entry level outfit & works for my local estuary & trout. I have also used in years ago on dolphin fish out at the fad. A decent bream may have you thinking of a heavier rod but the 4 wight handles most fish.

As for casting - whatever works. Bow & arrow is quite useful in tight spots or looking to get in through trees/leases/structure.

A great way to fish the flats. And you can cast to your hearts delight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Hoods! I'm guessing if a 4 weight does the job for you, then a 6 weight should be fine.

Never thought of the bow and arrow as an option for fly fishing. And yes, I love my flats fishing, so I guess that part of the fly fishing world would be right up my alley.

I have a pretty basic "combo" I bought years ago and it's still good to use, my son has a very upmarket setup and it's nicer, but not 4 times the price nicer, if you get what I mean? I fish for Bream, Trevally, Blackfish and Mullet, just using bread for burley and a bread fly, works a treat for me, but I am a long way from an expert, it is good fun though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ideally for bream, whiting and blackfish, a 6 weight is a good starting point though when it comes to flathead and casting larger, often weighted flies an 8 weight rod is the go.

That being said, I use an 8 weight for everything and get by without a problem. The 8 weight also comes in handy and casts the smaller flies a little easier when the wind's blowing.

In regards to roll casting, if it was me, I'd be avoiding those tighter areas. Roll casts are okay for short casts in tight places, but you won't cover enough water to conveniently fish in the salt.

Edited by Green Hornet
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Casting is something that takes practice, you can't learn it from a couple of movies (in my opinion) if possible, get some pointers first from an accomplished caster so you don't create bad habits. Where I fish is easy, it's mostly sand, nothing behind me, but, now and then I fish off a rocky shore, which for a novice like me can be a challenge, but an expert put me onto a washing baskets around my waist threaded on a belt, you pull the line into the basket, rather than at your feet in the rocks, you look like a goose, but it works great.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Ideally for bream, whiting and blackfish, a 6 weight is a good starting point though when it comes to flathead and casting larger, often weighted flies an 8 weight rod is the go.

That being said, I use an 8 weight for everything and get by without a problem. The 8 weight also comes in handy and casts the smaller flies a little easier when the wind's blowing.

In regards to roll casting, if it was me, I'd be avoiding those tighter areas. Roll casts are okay for short casts in tight places, but you won't cover enough water to conveniently fish in the salt.

Thanks Pete, I was wondering if the 8 weight might be useful in windy conditions (today was quite windy). My thought about roll casts is more about fishing areas where I might inconvenience or endanger members of the public, which I have no appetite to do! I would be perfectly happy fishing the flats of a summer's day though.

7 hours ago, noelm said:

Casting is something that takes practice, you can't learn it from a couple of movies (in my opinion) if possible, get some pointers first from an accomplished caster so you don't create bad habits. Where I fish is easy, it's mostly sand, nothing behind me, but, now and then I fish off a rocky shore, which for a novice like me can be a challenge, but an expert put me onto a washing baskets around my waist threaded on a belt, you pull the line into the basket, rather than at your feet in the rocks, you look like a goose, but it works great.

Thanks Noel, the challenge is part of the attraction! I might join a fly rodder's club and/or hire a coach when I can rustle up the time to actually turn up to things reliably (without kids in tow). I do have a couple of mates who would be able to help me too, and one is in Townsville and has a dedicated flats fishing boat complete with the viewing platform and all...hmm to think about it, might be time to give him a call and organise a holiday up north...and then maybe the 8 weight might come in useful...😎

• Like 2

I dabblèd with sw fly and enjoyed it but had too many options going.  At the time everybody recommended going 8 weight which I  did.  Managed flathead,  mulet, luderick, salmon and slimies.   Good fun but never really mastered the casting bit but it is great fun for the dedicated.   Ron 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Mike,

Not sure at what point someone becomes an expert... I was given a freshwater 7 weight fly rod with reel and line as a present over a decade ago. To learn how to use it I got a lesson with a now deceased Sydney fly fishing guide. He covered the history, the gear and general theory of fly fishing. In the second half of the lesson we went into several casts. I felt particularly uncoordinated on the day but the lesson was worth every dollar it cost me. Later on I picked up a 9 weight saltwater outfit for chasing fish from the kayak. A few years ago I added a 7 weight saltwater outfit to the collection. All rods were 9 foot. I can't quite shoot a full fly line but I'm getting closer. With my friend's outfit the other week I was about 6 feet short of doing so. I think I could have done it on the day but as it was his outfit I wanted him to be the first to do so with it. Coincidentally, to help my friend see where he was going wrong we filmed him and then me during that same session. This is me - you can judge if I pass as competent. 😀

https://youtu.be/FlsMQo5wRaE

Now I've hopefully established some of my credentials, technique is more important than brute strength and the people I've helped improve dramatically once they understand that. It is like pushing a kid on a swing. If you get the timing right it only takes a bit of effort each time to build up momentum.

My starting suggestion would be a 7 weight for what you have said but in this case I'd suggest a different approach. Look at the Redington Crosswater 890-4 (8 weight, 9 foot, 4 piece outfit) which is the one shown in the video. I tracked it down for my friend when it was on special for under $200. It comes with rod, reel, line and carry case. The rod is impressive for the price and the line just flies. Unfortunately, it will more likely be around $300 at the moment due to the world wide shipping issues.

Why this and not something lighter. Unless you want to get several outfits this will be a better all round outfit for Sydney harbour. Just by changing out the leader and tippet we can chase several different species ranging from what you mentioned to the pelagics such as tailor, salmon, kingfish, bonito.

Happy to give you a lesson at a local park to see where you are at. I might also be able to drag along my mate so you can see and feel the outfit I'm suggesting.

Regards,

Derek

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1