FG knot vid

Chillifishi

Hi all, i thought i would post this vid here, as ive been wanting to change my light gear over to fg knots.  Apologies if already on another thread. I know there are different schools of thought around whether fg is necessary on the light stuff (in my case 4lb main braid and 3lb fluoro leader) but i just couldnt get over the beauty of the fg 😄 even though the double uni was working well. The double uni never failed me, but i did find when snagged, the line would break at the leader knot quite consistently.

This vid really helped me out, and after a few practices getting the wraps tight enough and not warping the leader, i found the braid cinching down just fine (colour change, non slip, looks to be biting in but hard to tell given silly string).

Also i felt this method makes fg tie easier on the go, im doing 12 wraps in total.

Hoping this helps someone as it did me!

The other thing I forgot to say is that if you lock up the FG with a rizzuto before tightening up the knot, the finger trap mechanism that the knot relies upon might not be activated. That is why I tighten everything up after the first half hitch. For the same reasons, I have also heard that you shouldn't do too many turns; apart from wasting time, you're also denying the lower end of the knot the chance to do its role. I tend to do 16-20 turns max for 6-12lb line. From what I've tried, even 12 might be enough in some cases.

I've learned all of this only in the past year and it's resulted in much improved FG connections, as well as helping me tie them more quickly without tools. Before that I had a protracted slim beauty phase, which worked well but was undeniably bulkier. It took a bit of practice, but I find FGs easier than a slim beauty, and not that much slower than a double uni (knot practice is a good use of time when stuck at home). Now I've learned how to tie FGs better and faster without tools, my knot assist now lives on my desk as a curious toy :D 

• Like 2

On 8/15/2022 at 9:48 AM, Little_Flatty said:

The other thing I forgot to say is that if you lock up the FG with a rizzuto before tightening up the knot, the finger trap mechanism that the knot relies upon might not be activated. That is why I tighten everything up after the first half hitch. For the same reasons, I have also heard that you shouldn't do too many turns; apart from wasting time, you're also denying the lower end of the knot the chance to do its role. I tend to do 16-20 turns max for 6-12lb line. From what I've tried, even 12 might be enough in some cases.

I've learned all of this only in the past year and it's resulted in much improved FG connections, as well as helping me tie them more quickly without tools. Before that I had a protracted slim beauty phase, which worked well but was undeniably bulkier. It took a bit of practice, but I find FGs easier than a slim beauty, and not that much slower than a double uni (knot practice is a good use of time when stuck at home). Now I've learned how to tie FGs better and faster without tools, my knot assist now lives on my desk as a curious toy :D 

Totally makes sense. Agree with the less turns too, i couldnt make it work on 3lb leader with more than 12 turns.