Painting Minn Kota

Berleyguts

I’ve lost a good deal of paint from my Minn Kota (probably from hitting sand some years back) - photos attached. I want to sand it back and paint it (at least it’s something to do if I can’t go fishing 😂).

Should I buy a special marine paint? Recommendations? TIA

B86C2B94-26F2-481F-85AB-0263458EB937.jpeg

B623DCAC-01FD-434D-9DA0-B763CF8CE4FD.jpeg

Just go to bunnings and get a can of Etch primer and a can of metal shield epoxy enamel cost approx $30

take your time sanding back to a nice clean alloy serface apply 2 coats of etch primer first coat just a mist coat 2nd coat heavier coat but not too heave that it runs, allow to dry for a day then 2-3 coats of the white enamel.

Probably wont match exactly right but you are the only one that will notice it.

Frank

Edited by frankS
  • Like 2

I've painted my 5 year old MotorGuide a couple of times - the trick as mentioned is to get it back to bare metal where the corrosion is. I use a wire wheel in a drill. I hjaven't used an etch primer and just relied on a couple of coats.

The last time I did it, I used a spray can of Dulux Epoxy Enamel which seemed to provide a better lasting result than the White Knight epoxy enamel I brished on. I've always just used whatever I had from other projects.

• Like 1

First off you will need to clean it back to new, no little "pits" then etch prime, then suitable paint, there is some very good spray cans available, but they are not cheap, I have used the Stacer white and it's still good years later.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, noelm said:

First off you will need to clean it back to new, no little "pits" then etch prime, then suitable paint, there is some very good spray cans available, but they are not cheap, I have used the Stacer white and it's still good years later.

I think you are supposed to follow with an primer/ undercoat paint after the etch primer.

Edited by slowjigger
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Hill373737 said:

I've painted my 5 year old MotorGuide a couple of times - the trick as mentioned is to get it back to bare metal where the corrosion is. I use a wire wheel in a drill. I hjaven't used an etch primer and just relied on a couple of coats.

The last time I did it, I used a spray can of Dulux Epoxy Enamel which seemed to provide a better lasting result than the White Knight epoxy enamel I brished on. I've always just used whatever I had from other projects.

A wire brush or wheel should be stainless steel and not carbon steel for cleaning aluminium. Also it must be clean and not used on any other type of metal. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, slowjigger said:

A wire brush or wheel should be stainless steel and not carbon steel for cleaning aluminium. Also it must be clean and not used on any other type of metal. 

I didn’t even know it was aluminium… thought it was steel! 🤷‍♂️ I was going to use a flap disc anyway. They’re much gentler.

A flap disc will grind the surface no matter how fine a disc you use. You want to SAND the surface NOT grind it.

Use wet and dry sand paper (wet ) . start off with 240 grit and then 400 with final sanding with 600 this should be fine enough for a electric motor ( you wont be putting it in any shows to win trophies ) .

you wont need a separate primer the etch PRIMER is sufficient, you can use additional primer if you want to do yet another step in the process..

Grab a tack cloth IF bunnings sell them ? You would know better than me on this.. You can use acetone between coats to ensure dust free finish.

Frank 

Edited by frankS
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/18/2022 at 8:44 AM, frankS said:

A flap disc will grind the surface no matter how fine a disc you use. You want to SAND the surface NOT grind it.

Use wet and dry sand paper (wet ) . start off with 240 grit and then 400 with final sanding with 600 this should be fine enough for a electric motor ( you wont be putting it in any shows to win trophies ) .

you wont need a separate primer the etch PRIMER is sufficient, you can use additional primer if you want to do yet another step in the process..

Grab a tack cloth IF bunnings sell them ? You would know better than me on this.. You can use acetone between coats to ensure dust free finish.

Frank 

Thanks Frank,

I just started having a look at this today. Should I take all the paint off, or just sand lightly where it’s in good condition? If I take it all off, should I just use paint stripper?… because where the paint is good, it doesn’t come off very easily. 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Thanks Frank,

I just started having a look at this today. Should I take all the paint off, or just sand lightly where it’s in good condition? If I take it all off, should I just use paint stripper?… because where the paint is good, it doesn’t come off very easily. 🤷‍♂️

Baz. Up to you mate, if you want a show room finish strip bare and sand smooth, if you want it to look good and be protected from the salt water you could just work on the parts that are infected. just remember a finished job is only as good as the preparation and the finer the prep the better the finish.

If you do end up using paint stripper be sure you wash all the remnants off thoroughly with fresh water and allow to dry. One tiny droplet of water will see you repeating the whole process.

Show us the finished product.

Frank 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, frankS said:

Baz. Up to you mate, if you want a show room finish strip bare and sand smooth, if you want it to look good and be protected from the salt water you could just work on the parts that are infected. just remember a finished job is only as good as the preparation and the finer the prep the better the finish.

If you do end up using paint stripper be sure you wash all the remnants off thoroughly with fresh water and allow to dry. One tiny droplet of water will see you repeating the whole process.

Show us the finished product.

Frank 

Thanks Frank. Yeah, I was tempted to just sand the peeling areas, leaving the good paint and use putty spray on the bare areas but I think it will annoy me down track if I don’t strip it right back! So, I think I’ll strip it all back to bare metal. I’ll just lightly sand and spray the shaft, though. I’ll post photos when I’m (eventually) done… I don’t rush these things! 😂

• 3 months later...

Well, I only just got around to finishing this off in the last couple of days! 🤷‍♂️😂

3 coats of etch primer and 3 of topcoat. I’m happy enough with it even though I didn’t mask up thoroughly and got a bit of overspray. It’ll do! 😎8E2808C2-ECAD-4DFA-82BC-329B02DFDD9C.jpeg.47757e7a68dd5613afb137197ea730d2.jpeg74254180-5512-4E46-B21E-EC88EADCF40A.jpeg.6d86b1e51327be0ba3f05e5ccd390ee7.jpeg52EA27B7-5765-4C5C-8967-BA9D31CE513B.jpeg.cfbe0a6f47db952c2cd22297070efcbc.jpegFE39C799-502F-49D8-AAA5-625594C26676.jpeg.7e61ce9290e5bad6c0f61951563db655.jpegEB8C3B6D-B9D1-4A34-B307-FDCBDC12ED1F.jpeg.d05938b842817f9390ffac789ab184b9.jpeg

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 5

On 1/9/2023 at 7:55 PM, Fab1 said:

Better late than never.Welll done!

Yeah, well… the missus was on my case about tidying up the garage. I had to move the boat out to do it. Now it sits in the driveway, so maybe I will take it out more! 😂

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Yeah, well… the missus was on my case about tidying up the garage. I had to move the boat out to do it. Now it sits in the driveway, so maybe I will take it out more! 😂

Always an upside to cleaning the house Baz!

My favourite part is finding gear that I’d long forgotten that I had!🤣

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

Always an upside to cleaning the house Baz!

My favourite part is finding gear that I’d long forgotten that I had!🤣

Yes, it's amazing what you find when you clean up, that gizmo that you spent hours looking for was right on the bench, under ten layers of tools/bolts/used broken parts and who knows what else, been there and done that last week.......

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, noelm said:

Yes, it's amazing what you find when you clean up, that gizmo that you spent hours looking for was right on the bench, under ten layers of tools/bolts/used broken parts and who knows what else, been there and done that last week.......

Have you been sneaking in to my shed!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dmck said:

Have you been sneaking in to my shed!!

It's funny, I have 4 of those Brownbuit metal cupboards, one for tools, one for car stuff, one for fishing stuff and one for boat stuff, after a few months, it's amazing how a grinder ends up in the boat one, or the boat bolts container is in the tools cabinet, I reckon they must sneak around at night, just to trick me,  because I don't remember putting stuff in the wrong one!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, noelm said:

It's funny, I have 4 of those Brownbuit metal cupboards, one for tools, one for car stuff, one for fishing stuff and one for boat stuff, after a few months, it's amazing how a grinder ends up in the boat one, or the boat bolts container is in the tools cabinet, I reckon they must sneak around at night, just to trick me,  because I don't remember putting stuff in the wrong one!

I'm an athiest coz god hates me... he is forever moving things that I "dilligently store", wasting my precious time making me search for them......  or making me fumble and drop things at the most inconvenient time.. and it falls and rolls under a cupboard or bench... or totally out of sight...

• Like 2