Cracker day

Pickles

Went out with buddy Steve this morning after picking up my “wash down” gear from @GordoRetired(thanks again Tom).

It was a cracker day outside with very small swell and although wind was about 10knys

it dropped away by 11 and sun came out. Caught up with Bill @blaxland on the water, but otherwise there were very few boats out. Catch for the day included trevally , snapper, mackerel (no kingfish or Sampson fish / Amberjack) and a giant Purple spotted Cod. These are a tropical species (ocadsionally caught in Sydney), and a terrific eating fish. It wen 11kg and 73cm😊

A72E8C45-19ED-447E-A08D-31292E4D9D51.jpeg

771E7676-6119-4EBC-BD85-7B2526E3691F.jpeg

• Like 21

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Had some for tea - absolutely delicious, rate higher than jewfish and even kingfish.

Well there you go Bob, something better eating than kingfish.  🤣

Certainly a good sized fish, and an unusual catch for down this way. good work.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Larkin said:

Nice fish, beautiful colour - even matches your tape measure.

You ever caught one of those before?

First time for me - apparently a tropical species, rare south of QLD. One of my buddies whose a charter operater in the harbour caught a small one off Clifton a few years back.

On 8/18/2022 at 3:07 PM, Pickles said:

Went out with buddy Steve this morning after picking up my “wash down” gear from @GordoRetired(thanks again Tom).

It was a cracker day outside with very small swell and although wind was about 10knys

it dropped away by 11 and sun came out. Caught up with Bill @blaxland on the water, but otherwise there were very few boats out. Catch for the day included trevally , snapper, mackerel (no kingfish or Sampson fish / Amberjack) and a giant Purple spotted Cod. These are a tropical species (ocadsionally caught in Sydney), and a terrific eating fish. It wen 11kg and 73cm😊

A72E8C45-19ED-447E-A08D-31292E4D9D51.jpeg

771E7676-6119-4EBC-BD85-7B2526E3691F.jpeg

Damn that Nice Big Groper!!! stir fry / Steam!! and pan!! whatever you throw at it! u can't go wrong^^^^ 10/10

• Like 1

On 8/19/2022 at 8:19 AM, Larkin said:

Nice fish, beautiful colour - even matches your tape measure.

You ever caught one of those before?

A first for me - I’ve caught Māori wrasse (also tropical) before, and plenty of black spotted cod, but never one of these.

6 hours ago, papafish said:

Damn that Nice Big Groper!!! stir fry / Steam!! and pan!! whatever you throw at it! u can't go wrong^^^^ 10/10

Sam, my wife lightly smeared it with mayonnaise, dusted with 50/50 plain and rice flour and pan fried it - was delicious.

• Like 2