1st Popper Fish

Hi raiders, met up with Paul (Yaulpang), actually my 1st time with a raider. Fished hen and chicken bay for the first time as well. Nice bay with calm waters. Decided that since the surface was smooth, I'll give the popper a go and plus it was my 1st time using it. 1st cast, and retrieving (popping) the 1st time as well since I don't really know how popping is properly done, caught a whiting of 25.5cm. Wow, that's definitely a lot of "Firsts" for me! Now, I'm really hook to popping! It's fun but bloody tiring. But the rewards are superb, we saw the fishes chasing the popper trying to wack the lure, definitely a nice sight!

post-283-1137134835_thumb.jpg

$3 Berkley Frenzy (think this is a crazy frog colour)

post-283-1137134901_thumb.jpg

Got this flounder on the emerald shiner bm at IC.

Same here Ken,

Whiting on poppers I have never heard of it before thats an awsome effort guys.

I might give Hen and Chicken a bash or maybe IC tomorrow evening, if the weather is OK.

Cheers

Trev

I must admit I've never heard of whiting hitting a popper either. :1yikes:

But it's good to see proof that it can be done.

Well done Ron, great catch mate! :thumbup:

Shane

:1fishing1:

yeah, I couldn't believe it myself that a bottom dweller would try and attack such a big lure. I reckon the key feature of this popper is the loud rattles as well as copping enough water to stir them up. However, it was foul hook on its eye and so I quickly took the trebles out before the photo shoot. But nonetheless, she swam away perfectly. A tip is use light lines to the lure, twitch 1..2.. violently with your rod tip downwards to create the "pop" sound and splashes. Hope these helps!

Cheers

Just goes to show - you never can tell what you'll get throwing a lure around.

I suppose Whiting will take prawns off the surface when they're running at night, which might explain this fish's interest in a surface lure, but as per all the other Raiders it's the first I've ever heard of a whiting from a popper.

Crystalliser, you've just proved that you've gotta be in it to win it!!

Mondo